Revell 64 1/2 Ford Mustang problem.

Time to pimp them rides!
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Revell 64 1/2 Ford Mustang problem.

Post by Magician »

Hi All,

Apologies if this plea for help is in the wrong place.

I'm building up the Revell 64 1/2 Ford Mustang kit (not, in my opinion, one of Revells best) and I'm stuck on how the bonnet is supposed to be fitted. The holes where the hinges fit through are different sizes and shapes so I need to know which side hinge is fitted first ?, does the bonnet have to be flexed to fit it ?, do the ends of the hinges have to be trimmed ?

No clue is given in the rather vague instructions apart from a single arrow pointing towards the drives side.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Chris (wechr8@aol.com)
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Revell 64 1/2 Ford Mustang problem.

Post by IvanV22 »

Hei Chris.
I have already sent you a pm. , but can answer you here all so. Having looked my old instructions I would say that the bonnet is flexed into place, I had no problems with paint cracking (Vallejo). I would recommend jusing some lubricant on the pins, I just use spitt or you could try vasalin.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing the finished Mustang.
Best from Ivan
Best from Ivan
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Revell 64 1/2 Ford Mustang problem.

Post by Magician »

Many thanks to Ivan and the other people who contacted me with the solution. Basically you hold the bonnet between your thumb and your forefinger and flex it slightly so it arches upwards in the middle. Locate the drivers side hinge first then carefully (very carefully) push the passenger side hinge into position. You might have to take a tiny amount off the end of the passenger side hinge pin. Some form of light grease also helps.

A few tips for anyone thinking about building this model.
1. Don't (as I did) spray the engine black as you'll lose all its fine detail and it then becomes just a black lump. Even the chrome alternator and spraying the two rocker covers bright silver, the chrome carb or bright silver sprayed air filter won't brighten it up.
2. Don't (as I did) spray the driver/passenger tub black or you'll lose all the detail in the inner door mouldings.
3. The "Mustang" symbol and wording is moulded into the body immediately in front of the doors. Once the body is sprayed this not only almost totally masks this detail it also makes picking it out neatly later almost impossible. Far better, in my opinion, to sand off the moulded symbols and Mustang wording and utilise the excellent Mustang decals.
4. There are, confusingly, two gear lever parts supplied in the kit. Make sure you select the right one. I spent ages modifying the wrong one to fit. Doh !
5. Finally, the windscreen is (at least it was on mine) a terrible fit with large gaps around the top corners even though the centre was fine. Take great care before actually applying any adhesive.

Thanks again for your help and for taking the time to read this. Regards, Chris. (now older and wiser)

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”