Mercedes 300SL

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mercedes 300SL

Post by syd-baines »

ouch, is that an air bag hanging out of the door, if it is surely the owner must have had it put in, the frame work looked to be strong with all the cross pieces, still can`t make my mind up between spinners or hub caps, part of the hub caps are painted silver which looks like i will have to dechrome see how it goes
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

done a bit more to the merc, i agree with every one that the hub caps are the way to go with this model, so i hjave done them and put them on, i used bmf on the chrome part painted the rest in silver then used the photo etch on the middle, the wheels are now on the chassis, i have just done the seats i filled in the back as they come a bit higher than the parcel shelf, i then put some leather like cloth on next it is the inner tub and the body work

DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

This is beautiful to watch coming together.

David
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks David just need to tidy the seats up then they are ready to go in once the tub is painted
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

painted the inner tub and put some flocking on the floor and rear parcel shelf, got sme bits and bobs to put on inner wings and the seats and dashboard then i can put it on the chassis

syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

done the inner tub got the body to do now, it will be a few days before i can do that as we are in the middle of packing to move, we have to go somewhere else as we are being refurbished but when we move back in about 6 months we will go into a two bedroom so i can set up a permanent modeling area anyway here are the pics of the inner tub

celt

Post by celt »

Loving your work,great stuff.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thank you celt it will be next week at the earliest before i can do any more as i am in the middle of moving
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

hi guys sorry it`s been a while we have only just got sorted out after the move, we have it to do all again in another 6 months or so, but i back with the model now i have done the body work and got the doors and bonnet on, next it is the inner tub and then the chassis, and some bits and bobs to go on the bodywork so should not be to long now before it is finnished

general rocket

Post by general rocket »

The best looking of all Mercedes?
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i agree with that i have now finished the build, tamiya have done a great job with this kit the fit of parts was very good, no clean up of parts needed apart from where you cut them off the sprue,
the chrome parts was very good the best i have seen in a kit the runners from the sprue was on the back of the parts so if you are careful you will not have to touch up the chrome, the kit fell together itself, i lost one of the rear light and one of the front side light they pinged from my tweezers and i could not find them hopefully when i tidy up ready for my next build i might find them,

59North

Post by 59North »

An impressive finish, indeed. The build proves you have considerable talent.
Knowing how it feels, I should think you are quite aggravated over the loss of those lights. You must ask the wife not to vacuum the hobby room until they are found.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks really nice Syd. For the front sidelight, maybe a drop of white glue would suffice?

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys i have had the hoover out and fastened some mesh that was left over from another build and hoovered up myself rather than let the wife in but i did not find them so i dont know where they escaped to, i will try the white glue that Nigel has suggested for the rear light i have just painted it red don`t look to bad from a distance
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent finish; that looks like a quality pre-assembled replica
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”