Ducati 1199 panigale s

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Ducati 1199 panigale s

Post by syd-baines »

my next build is Tamiya 1:12 ducati 1199 panigale s, i have bought the front fork set that tamiya has produced for this kit also i have bought a detail up set for it, it has photo etch and resin parts, it also has a chain for me to build, i have never used resin parts before so if any one can give me some advice on resin i would be very grateful, i.e what glue and paints to use or can i use the same as for the plastic parts the resin looks to be softer than the plastic so i assume i will have to use finer sandpaper, the bike does not have a frame every thing is bolted to the engine and as far as i know it is the only motorcycle in production that does not have a frame

the front fork set

the detail up set

Mike_h
Getting well comfy!

Re: Ducati 1199 panigale s

Post by Mike_h »

Looks like a nice kit
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Our expectations are high!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great looking Duke Syd. My experience with resin is limited to a few add-on aircraft parts but I used CA ("superglue"), which did the job. As an alternative to CA a two-part epoxy resin glue such as Araldite or a cheaper DIY store alternative (if you are in the UK I have found Wilkos own brand to be excellent) might also work OK.

Please be careful sanding resin as it is really not a good idea to inhale the dust, I would strongly recommend wearing a mask.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i bought some two part epoxy from wilkos a few weeks ago to glue something else that i broke nothing to do with models but decided it was not worth mending so will try that, i have got a mask but it is one of the cheap ones that you throw away, i was thinking of getting one with filters now seems a good time to get one, do you have any idea as to which paints i can use, i use Tamiya acrilics, alclad and zero paints and occasionally i use humbrol enamels for very small parts
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I have a Scott Pro 2 respirator mask Syd that I bought at the Telford show about 4 years ago from, if I recall correctly, Little Cars. The mask has two screw on filter cartridges, one on each side and is light and comfortable to use. I was told to replace the cartridges every year or so, depending on how much the mask was used and I now need to buy more as I am on the last pair that I bought as spares. I'm not sure if the mask is still available and if not I will have to buy either the latest version of it or another make altogether.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i see hiroboy sells them i most likely buy one from them but i might look to see what others there is work on the bike is a bit slow at the moment hopefully next couple days i will have something to show
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

got the engine done next is the exhaust and the airbox, there is a lot of screws to this model nearly every thing is screwed together the body work is painted and decaled just a clear coat and then they can be left to harden before i have to handle them

syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

got the exhaust , radiator, and airbox on the engine, got the chain to build up and photo brake disc to assemble for the one sided swing arm, i might do the front forks first to see what they are like, i have just the brake caliper carrier to paint as well as the calipers so they should look better than the kit parts

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That's a great looking engine. Tamiya paints?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Dazzled i used alclad aluminum for the engine and alclad gloss black base for the airbox and radiator tamiya paints for the exhaust and engine side cover and detail paining
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

not had much model time last couple of weeks but done a bit more to the ducati over the weekend and got the one sided swing arm done and put on i put some carbon fibre decal on the rear mud guard and rear chain guards the front sprocket cover i painted as per instructions, i made a mess of the photo etch chain so had to use the kit one, but used the photo etched brake disc, next is the foot rest hangers and front forks i hope to get them done in the next couple of days

celt

Post by celt »

That looks a very complex kit,I would not have the skill to do a kit as complex as this.You have made good progress,it will be interesting to follow your build.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Syd that is a very realistic looking engine and frame components, including that lovely looking rear disc brake/sprocket assembly. The detail in this kit is excellent.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys it is not quite as complex as it looks, the sub assemblies screws on to the engine, i have bought a detailed kit for it which has more detail than the kit parts so working methodiccally and building the sub assemblies, although it has more of them than other kits it is like other bike kits

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”