Marky's Railway Layout

Time to pimp them rides!
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Marky Railway Layout

Post by MarkyM607 »

Ratch wrote:I wouldn't worry about the spacing of the plinths 8-)
I think that's a good idea!!. I did intend to have some sort of walled bridge and only two openings for roads, therefore I didn't really space the plinths out properly!!. The inside bridge has small arches while the outside one is more boxed in, as in the second picture!.
Enjoying the work, using used model boxes to make walls or the backing for printed wall sheets to go on.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Progress has been made, running trains in and around what is regularly a building site!!. Added a branch off (well two) onto the windowsill. One is for the passenger line (outer oval), and one connects to the inner oval via diamond crossing.
A card viaduct has been bought and modified to fit the curve!.
The tunnel in the far corner (where the wood blocks are), is more developed and uses a Metcalfe card kit for the tunnel entrances.
Will have to post more (updated) pictures soon. There is also a fourth track on the window sill, two for the passenger station and two as freight tracks.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

The viaduct looks good 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's coming on really well! Good use of space too by using the window sill
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wot Iggie said :grin: It's looking good, Mark.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to put something of everything that's in the local area, mainly coal for the old power station, the river, farming and some industry, probably a paper mill. Not going to go mad on these, don't have the space!!, just a little of each. :grin:
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Wow, that is great progress Marky. I've been spending a lot of time on my layout in the last couple of weeks so I will have to start a thread like this one and post a few pics. Really like your viaduct - I desperately want one but would have to do some major reconstruction of the baseboard to fit one in, so I envy you!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

beany wrote:Wow, that is great progress Marky. I've been spending a lot of time on my layout in the last couple of weeks so I will have to start a thread like this one and post a few pics. Really like your viaduct - I desperately want one but would have to do some major reconstruction of the baseboard to fit one in, so I envy you!
Thanks Beany. Will look forward to your layout on here!!. The viaduct was a Metcalfe kit I picked up in Bedford. The main reason I had space for it was the legs I had (without spending loads) were shorter than the other sections had. So I jumped on the chance to make a bridge which I think you can see in earlier pics. I replaced it with the viaduct a month ago but had to cut one section in two to fit the curve!!. :grin: It was more of a luck than judgement thing!. :lol:
MarkyM607

Re: Marky's Railway Layout

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, it's been a very long time since I posted any updates on my railway. Although I have been working on it I've succumbed to changing the layout so many times it didn't seem worth putting anything up. Now I think I've settled on a layout, it's a round-and-round although it covers twice the space shown in the pictures above. To do this I've several folding section and a bridge over the end of my bed!!. For now I've been working on the tunnel which allows a more realistic timetable to be run, due to it being usable for hiding trains, giving the suggestion that they are off and away somewhere. Otherwise a trip around the track would take about two minutes, in real life this wouldn't be the case.

One folding section....

The tunnel under construction, I've almost completed the roof now. It will be removable so that I can get to the trains and the track if need be....

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is interesting stuff, Mark and I like the way you are using the available space. I find model railways to be interesting enough although space and, more importantly, available funds mean that I'm unlikely to indulge myself at present. There's nowt wrong in grown men playing with trains in my book though and it would be great if you are able to keep us updated on your layout here.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi Shaun. Thanks for that. I'll try and put updates on more regularly from now on. I am enjoying the building, somewhat more than my model building!!. Not sure why but really want to keep models going. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

beany wrote:I could suggest a few options but it's difficult as I don't know what space you have available.
If the oval is too large then why not reduce the length of the straight pieces of track in between and bring the end sections closer together?

Here is a photo of the layout board I made that we used at Telford in 2015. It is 6ft by just under 4ft (it was 4ft wide but wouldn't fit in my car so I had to saw a bit along one edge).

It is one solid piece and all of the track is nailed in place and connected with fishplates. It was intended to be a running layout but we had problems with power so it became a static exhibit. It is wired with connection point soldered to the side of the track. You can have more than one connection point as long as the wires connect back to the same terminal on your controller.

If you make your layout boards into one piece like this (mine is 3 bits of MDF screwed together below the layout with batons of 40mmx22mm like the ones you seem to be using) would you be able to stand it against a wall when not in use? All you need to do each time you use it is stand it on a table or something and then connect the wires to your controller and get out your rolling stock, scenery and building and away you go! This would also make it portable so you could even have it out in the garden in the summer.

I'm lucky enough to have space in the loft for my layout. If you need any help just ask - I can show you photos of how to do things if you aren't sure.

Hi Beany, If you're still knocking around the forum I might have to take you up on the offer of help. I need to know about wiring, mainly how do I wire an end to end to get better power flow to the ends far away from the power connections to the track?.
In a way it may not need it but as they get to the bit around the window sill there is a stuttering of movement. Not sure about the whole wiring thing.

Hi Daz too. If you can help that would also be cool!!.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

MarkyM607 wrote:Hi Beany, If you're still knocking around the forum I might have to take you up on the offer of help. I need to know about wiring, mainly how do I wire an end to end to get better power flow to the ends far away from the power connections to the track?
Hi Marky.
If you can sketch the layout you have in mind and post it here I could suggest some additional wiring but it's very hard to do so without seeing what you have in mind.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

beany wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Hi Beany, If you're still knocking around the forum I might have to take you up on the offer of help. I need to know about wiring, mainly how do I wire an end to end to get better power flow to the ends far away from the power connections to the track?
Hi Marky.
If you can sketch the layout you have in mind and post it here I could suggest some additional wiring but it's very hard to do so without seeing what you have in mind.
Cheers
Al.
Okay, I'll try and put a sketch or what have you on here. Won't be able to take a photo!!. Thanks. :grin:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

So, better late than never with the sketch. And bear in mind this is a VERY rough sketch, however it does show the basic layout. Hopefully this can help Beany. It does have one power connection for each of the three sections. I just wonder if this is enough or do I need to add more wiring or the like?.
PLUS: the inner curved area and sidings are separate to the larger inner track.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”