Revell 1/32 Opel GT

Time to pimp them rides!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Revell 1/32 Opel GT

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is a re-release of kit I was previously unaware of, but it looked cool and was in 1/32 which is a rarity especially from Revell.

Unfortunately my daughter spotted it and suddenly it was not longer mine to build!

Nice box art, obviously bright orange classic sport cars appear to 3 year olds.

Turns out it's basically a snapfit kit. Body and details moulded in orange bright work in silver plastic, not chromed and vinyl tires. Some very nice decals are provided.

Cracking on with the interior as she wanted to get to painting the body. No real problem bar a bit of flash that needs cleaning up to get the parts to click into position.

The big issue though is the wheels. Revell supply an errata sheet. The tires are meant to have an insert that creates the white ring around the side wall, but Revell have dropped the ball on moulding the tires and the recess has sealed closed. The problem is without the inserts the tires are frankly too big. Daddy had to break out his super sticky messy glue (Araldite Epoxy) to get the car completed in time for play!

Even the epoxy wasn't up to it and the tires eventually fell off. A more permanent solution was to wrap the wheels with .25mm card. One end of strip of card was attached first and only once dry was the rest wrapped around gluing bit by bit with Tamiya Extra thin.

I did mention it to one of the Revell reps at Telford but just "Oh. We've got a new McClaren coming out". Never got much of a response from them, seem to be salesmen unlike the enthusiastic Airfix Team.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Revell 1/32 Opel GT

Post by chrism »

The paint scheme looks fun so far. Have the wheels stayed on ok since your packing-em-out modification? I guess, that if you spoke about this to a Rep at Telford, the photos are not of modelling time you have spent recently over Christmas?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Built a couple of months ago and fixed over the hols. Had taken photos but never got around to posting. Wheels stayed on but both axels then broke and subsequently fixed.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

good idea with the wheels pleased that cured the tyre problem, i see you have started rubbing down the body work is that because you are painting it another colour or was the coloured plastic not very good, like to see this finished
fredk

Post by fredk »

That 'wild flame' paint job is just cracker so it is
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
59North

Post by 59North »

I nearly bought one of those new off the lot back in '72'. If there had been one that nice, I would have driven it home. Well done.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

My daughter decided on the paint work. Airfix acrylics are terrible on bare plastic and the next kit we do I may apply primer to the parts before we start.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great bit of modelling, she seems to be getting a taste for it now! Shame about the issues regarding the kit's tyres and the attitude of the Revell reps - they need more enthusiasm in order to deal with enthusiasts, selling models is a different ball game to selling kitchens!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great way to start em off young James. A future Telford winner I reckon 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”