kawasaki ninja h2r

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

kawasaki ninja h2r

Post by syd-baines »

this is Tamiya`s latest kit in their motorcycle range (i think) it is the a model of the awesome Kawasaki Ninja H2R the bike has a carbon fibre upper cowl and the body work is painted in a black chrome finish which looks awesome, it has a 998cc engine with a supercharger, it is a 300hp engine with a top speed of 300kph i have not worked out what that is in mph but it sounds very fast i think it is made for the track more than the road and according to the internet it has a price tag of £22,000, even at a standstill it looks as if it is going fast.
Tamiya`s kit looks awesome, the body work is in a very shiney metalic black if you do not want to paint the body panels it will look very good with just a polish, zero paints has produced a special paint set for this kit which replicates the black chrome which i will be using it also has the correct green paint for the frame, looking at the parts Tamiya have done a good job of the moulding with hardly any sink marks but i will inspect the parts more closely as i use them, the chrome exhausts will have to be bleached as the silencers are in two parts and the joint line will be hard to hide so i will strip off the chrome and use alclad, as far as i know it there is not an after market set for this kit i am suprised Tamiya has not brought out a fork set for it so the build will be ootb, i will start work on it within the next couple of days
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: kawasaki ninja h2r

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting subject Syd. As I'm a bit out of touch with modern bikes I googled this one and it is certainly a bit of a techfest with its complex looking supercharged engine, which is apparently the first such engine ever fitted to a production motorcycle. The H2R is a track only version and produces considerably more power than the road version which is detuned to a more modest 200bhp! By my calculations 300kph is around 186mph and is the approximate top end speed of the road going Ninja H2 version. According to tests carried out by Cycle World magazine, the road bike 0-60mph is in the region of 2.6 seconds with a standing quarter of 9.62 seconds at 152mph - in other words bloody fast! (in comparison my 130bhp VW Bora turbo diesel car has a 0-60 time of about 9.0 seconds and top speed of about 125mph). It would seem that the R version is capable of around 240mph (approx 387kph) or so!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks for that Shaun i am still researching the motorcyle and your description is spot on, i hope i can do this model justice as it looks awesome
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I had a sit on one for size not so long ago. Amazing looking and super technical but not really my thing. Perhaps I'm getting old :roll:

It'll certainly make a stunning model though. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

This should be an impressive model Syd.

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys i have made a start i have built the engine i have not painted it yet i have put the two halves of the front mudguard and filled in the joint line it did not need much filler as the fit was that good the petrol tank is moulded in one piece which saves me from filling, i have also started the carbon fibre on a couple of parts the front cowl will be difficult due to the shape here is a couple of photos of the body panel i the camera does not do them full justice but i hope you can see just how good they are, it is almost a shame to sand them and repaint

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great looking kit Syd, there are certainly some challenging looking shapes and intricate mouldings that have been very nicely done. That's Tamiya for you, they've never been the cheapest injection moulded kits in the world but they have always been among the best.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i agree Shaun they Tamiya are the best kits for motorcycles that i have built and this one is no exception there is very few sink marks, what there is is hidden so will not show, Tamiya has also given thought to the parts on the sprues the attachment points are on the back of the parts which make it better for painting parts on the sprue as when you cut them off there is no touch up to do all you have to do is just clean the mating surface where you glue, i have done and painted the engine i have not come accross any problems the parts just fell together the frame is the next thing to do i am looking forward to using the paint set from zero paints bur before that i have to sand and prime it i might do the body panels at the same time hopefully within the next couple of days

Clashcityrocker

Great start Syd.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great start Syd, that is an excellent looking engine - not one I would fancy stripping down in the garage in full size!

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Nice engine work Syd. I'm a big fan of Tamiya's motorcycle kits too although it would be nice if they did a few classics. A Triumph Bonneville or BSA Gold Star would be nice.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i agree i love the old English bikes i have owned a few when i was a lot younger the gold star is what everybody wanted sadly i could never afford one
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Great start, love bikes (got rid of my last bike 2 yrs ago, triumph trophy 900) loved that bike. This looks mean, i had a kwak 500 about 15 yrs ago was quite nippy but didnt have the top end of the trophy.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks KP sadly i had to give up bikes about 12 years ago when i took ill and dvla kindly told me they would look after my licence, i have not had much time at the model desk in the past few days but i have painted the frame and built the swing arm hopefully over the weekend i will have them all mated up, then it is on to the body work, i have already painted them with the Zero paints black just got the lacquer coat and the polishing to do before they are ready

Clashcityrocker

Nice work. Frame looks nice in the green as does the rear wheel.

Nigel

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”