1/16 BMW Isetta 250

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/16 BMW Isetta 250

Post by syd-baines »

my next build is the little bubble car from BMW it will be a straight out of the box build, i might put some flocking on the floor to look like carpet, the attachment points on the chrome parts is on the face of the part so you can`t detach them without damage to the chrome so i will be stripping the chrome and use alclad on those parts, although it is 1/16 scale the finished car will look just like a 1/24 scale because of the size of the real car was so small i hope to make a start on it within the next day or so, also the instruction booklet is in colour

celt

Re: 1/16 BMW Isetta 250

Post by celt »

I will follow this with interest.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice. There's a fella here in Vancouver who tools around in one of those when the weather is agreeable.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great choice, Syd. Those little "bubble" type cars are such a hoot to look at - not sure what they are like to drive though!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys, i would not like to travel very far in one, this kit has not got many parts i have made a start got the body ready for a primer coat, brush painting the engine at moment so nothing to show yet
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Some years ago I had the opportunity to drive one of these- they are tremendous fun to drive and I would love to actually own a real one, will probably buy the model at some point.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys i have got some more done to the BMW got the body painted aswell as the chassis and engine, the engine is now in the chassis got the cabin done, i have put some blue flocking on the floor and some black flocking on the rear parcel shelf, it has some rails right round it which needs to be chrome as well as the rear carrier but they are not on the chrome sprue, i was going to use alclad on them but i have found a pen very much like the ones Tamiya did some years ago if anyone can remember them this one is called molotow and is very good so good that i might not have to dechrome the chrome parts, as far as i can make out the paint inside is acrylic rather than enamel like the Tamiya ones was you can also get refills for them and i have seen on youtube where you can pour straight from the refill into an airbrush and use it that way i will try it when i get a refill, here is where i am at so far

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress, Syd, this is really coming on very well. I remember those Tamiya pens but never used one.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i have done a little more got the cabin finished and put the wheels on, what i do like about this kit the white for the walls of the tires are decals which saves a lot of time with masking this model is the four wheeled version still a nice subject though, the body is next to go on after i have painted the window rubbers on front and back window frames, it looks like you put the windows on from outside, in the photos you can see the blue flocking the decal for the seat is also included in the kit so far i have not come across any fit issues, it is a nice little kit to build

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More great progress, Syd and there is no denying the cute appeal of this little BMW - in stark contrast to their modern autobahn stormers such as the M3 or M5! Those decals for the whitewalls are a great idea and look really neat in place. Top stuff.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Coming along nicely. Looks great.

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys, got the body on the chassis and most of the parts on, got the front door to do now

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice, nice, nice, Syd. Until seeing this build, I didn't realise BMW had made a four wheel version, I thought they were all three-wheelers.

IPMS#12300
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Great looking little cars, a friends dad had one many many years ago giving up scooters after meeting his wife to be and prior to my friend being born, he told many humorous stories about it.
Quick FYI though it doesn't matter, the original wouldn't have had carpet, but vinyl/rubber flooring.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys until i looked at some pictures before i started the build i thought the same as you Shaun, i did not realize this was the 4 wheel version until i started the build, i would think it was easier or cheaper for Revel to depict the 4 wheeled version, in answer to m1ks yes the original did have vinyl floor covering, i have seen a couple of restored ones where the owners have put carpets in that is why i put flocking in as i think it looks better than just painting the floor but thanks for pointing that out i did think hard before i decided to carpet the floor,
i have now finished the little bubble and it was i nice little kit to build i did not come across any fit issues apart from the tie down straps for the case on the rear carrier but a little super glue sorted them out, there was not all that many parts to this kit but i enjoyed building it, i eould like to build a model of the Bond bug from the 1960s 1970s era if any one can remember them but i have never seen a kit of one if anyone knows of a manufacturer who does one please let me know, her is the pics of the finished car

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”