1:12 Kawasaki Z1 900

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1:12 Kawasaki Z1 900

Post by syd-baines »

this is a bike from the 1980s my mate had the z1 1000 and it was a smashing bike to ride the 900 version was the better of the two as it was slightly faster and they looked good as well, this is a kit from Aoshima i have not built one of their kits, but they are said to be just as good as Tamiya, i have started on the model and built the front forks as that is the first thing to build according to the instructions but i will not be following the order it says, i have also built and painted the engine block also the swing arm, i have cut the moulded wheel adjusterd of and put photo etch ones on also the front brake had a pipe from the caliper to a bracket attached to the forks the kit has a bracket on the forks but the brake hoses start from there up to the handlebars so i have made a brake pipe from some florist wire and put some ends on i am also going to put hex rivets on the frame to replecate the mounting bolts, on this kit you build the engine then trap it between the frame which means it is difficult to fill the joints, i tried taping the frame together and twisting the engine in as i have done before with this type of build but it would not fit

Clashcityrocker

Re: 1:12 Kawasaki Z1 900

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Another nice looking bike Syd. I'm sure you'll make a fine job of it.

Nigel
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I had the same kit some years ago when they were quite hard to come by. I must have posted a picture of it because a guy in Finland offered me three times what I'd paid for it, so I sold it to him. He was delighted by all accounts. I didn't replace it because I really prefer the 1/8th and 1/6th scale bikes.

My build rate is glacial but among the many, many kits I have on the go are:-
REVELL
1/8th Police Harley,
1/9th BMW R 1200 C Cruiser,
1/8th LA Street Chopper;
1/8th Freedom Chopper;
1/8th Chopped Hog,

TAMIYA
1/6th Honda CB750 Four
1/6th Honda CB900F

NITTO
1/8th Honda CB900F
1/8th Kawasaki KZ1300 6-cylinder

MATCHBOX
1/12th Harley Havidson FLH1200 Classic;
1/12th Barry Sheene Suzuki RGA500;
1/12th Vincent Black Shadow

HALES
1/16th Triumph Tiger 100

AIRFIX
1/8th Honda CB750 Four (x2)
1/8th Norton Commando,

HELLER
1/8th Honda 950SS Bol d'Or
to name a few.

Knowing you this one will come out looking a stunner Syd - looking forward to the end result.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Have one of these waiting in the pile, it's a really clean crisply moulded kit and should build into a nice replica.
The Z1 incidentally was the first release 1972 900cc model only btw, subsequent ones were called the Z900 and Z1000 respectively.
I have a couple of the Aoshima bikes and based on those I'd say they're a close scond to Tamiya, when you compare to some like the Italeri the detail difference is night and day.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

As usual, expecting great things to happen here.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys got some more of the engine done and in the frame along with the swing arm, got the body work painted and awaiting for the decals, i have got to put the rivets on the mounts on the frame yet

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice work, man.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Syd. IMHO this is the quintessential early 1970's Japanese muscle bike, you can keep the CB-750 :ha: Great work so far!!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys got the front forks done and on the frame, i have made a guide for the speedo cable, a brake pipe for the front caliper to the bracket that is moulded on to the forks as the kit brake hoses started from the braket up to the brake lever, also the kit had you hiding the clutch cable under the tank so i made an adjustment nut arrangement and attached it to the front forks as the photos and the box art shows i have also cut the bolt heads of the mounting brackets on the frame and put hex headed rivets in

in this photo you cane see the pipe from the caliper and the clutch adjustment on the front down tube of the frame as well as the clutch cable guide i made the guide and brake pipe with florist wire which worked well
in these photos you can see the hex rivets on the mounting brackets

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress, Syd. IMHO the additional/correction work you are doing is very worthwhile and will make all the difference to the finished model.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun, i have now finished the Kawasaki, this is the first Aoshima kit i have built not quite up to Tamiya`s standard but very close the detail is good but lacking in one or two areas, the front brake has the brake hoses starting from the bracket on the forks so looking at the box art and photo`s of the 1/1 bike and what i remember of it, it has a brake pipe from the caliper up to that bracket i made one from florist wire and put some tapered hex fittings on the end and bent it to shape, i cut the moulded bolt heads of from the mounting brackets on the frame and drilled fine holes and put hex headed rivets in which i think looks better than just painting them, i have also made a clutch adjustment and fixed it on the front down tube of the frame as the kit instructions have you hiding the cable under the tank as on the 1/1 bike the clutch operating lever is behind the small chain sprocket so i put the cable down the frame and into the cover also the seat has some piping on near the back of the seat, i put some adhesive cloth for seats that i got from hiroboy i made a template with masking tape then filed the piping flat and put the cloth on in to parts and with a cocktail stick i ran it into the grooves of the pattern then with some of the kits tubing i glued it to the seat where the piping went it might look a little over scale but i think it looks better than just painting it i also mde a guide for the speedo cable and glued it to the bracket for the brake pipe, i enjoyed the build and i would build another kit from this manufacturer as they seem to do some nice bikes

iggie

Post by iggie »

Very smart indeed Syd. The shape reminds me very much of my old Honda 400 Four Super Sports, which interestingly I note from the calendar I was knocked off of, 37 years and one week ago....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks iggie there is a kit of the Honda 400 four which i will get in due course i also had one and it was a super little bike great fun
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You are certainly building these bike models to a very high standard Syd, Another beauty.

Nigel
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Cracking build 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”