Jaguar SS100, 1/32 -- Tomy and Matchbx "Twofer"

Time to pimp them rides!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Jaguar SS100, 1/32 -- Tomy and Matchbx "Twofer"

Post by mattbacon »

I thought I'd WiP this one, since some of you may be interested in comparing and contrasting the Matchbox and Tomy kits and the end results. Plus I'm going to use the Tomy kit as inspiration for some scratch details on the Matchbox...

In case you hadn't guessed, Tomy in white, Matchbox in red! You can see the slight differences in interpretation of the shapes: the Tomy tends towards flatter plane surfaces radiused and blended into each other, while the Matchbox has compound complex curves -- see especially the front wings and the shape of the bonnet/hood. The difference in engineering is also visible. The Tomy has its interior "pod" moulded with the main floor and wings, and a separate outer body with firewall and fuel tank which drops over it, while the Matchbox body is built up and then an interior tub is sandwiched between body and chassis.

No contest in terms of detail and refinement in the chassis and engines -- Tomy wins hands down. The metal parts are really, really good. There's also sensible choice of materials -- the springs are a stiff but flexible plastic that the axles just clip into. The "Matchbox" may also be suffering by comparison because it's a later Chinese edition of the kit, which is slightly softer in detail than the UK Matchboxes I've built, and moulded using slightly weird hard, shiny plastic.

First trial fit. I wonder whether the Tomy was also available as a prebuilt model, because you can almost fit it together without any kind of glue, with press fit parts and neatly moulded clips in strategic places (eg the metal axles clip into the plastic springs).

I don't think the Matchbox kit will disgrace itself, especially with the Tomy alongside to provide 3D 1:1 reference for extra bits!

Best,

M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Jaguar SS100, 1/32 -- Tomy and Matchbx "Twofer"

Post by ShaunW »

The MB kit is showing its age but I tend to agree with you Matt, I don't think the old CBK will disgrace itself and with a few added details will look good I'm sure.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by syd-baines »

looking forward to seeing this i have not heard of tomy kits before so i am looking forward to seeing the difference between the two kits
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've got both these kits too and will be paying close attention. The Tomy ones are probably the only 1/32 car kits "better" than the MB ones - I'm not including the Hornby era Airfix offerings.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”