3 Cars

Time to pimp them rides!
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

3 Cars

Post by general rocket »

Tamiya XJR9LM.
Built 20 odd years ago, and a complete pigs ear was made of it by your humble scribe. It is and always was an excellent kit but everything I did to it came out badly. Recently whilst tidying up I picked the car up and it fell apart, so I took the opportunity to rebuild it properly.
Everything was stripped back as far as practicle tidied up and repainted. A bit of detailling was added where it is visible.
Paint was again a car paint which once applied was polished into submission, and dare I say it, a suberb job was done. Unfortunately, So smooth was it polished, that the decals taken from Hasegawa's XJR8LM would not stick, and every time I tried to line them up, another decal moved, so after struggling for ages, I gave up. Those that are on the car where placed carefully, squeezed hard to remove water, left several days to make sure they where as firm as possible, then gone over carefully, with car polish to fix them in place. Seems to have worked.
One AAARRRGGGHHH!!! moment for your amusement. While stripping the paint with a bleach of some sort, I didn't notice the head lights had come away, and rinsed down the plug hole. nothing suitable in the stash, so the head light covers have left off till I can source some appropriate replacements.

Lindberg 1937 Cord Convertible.
What can I say, I've never built a kit by LInberg before and did not know their reputation.
I have always wanted at least one Coffin Nosed Cord in the collection, as it was ground breaking in numerous ways. The first car with pop up head lights, beaten by Citroen by a few months to the honour of first front wheel drive car, safety inovations and the first car advertised as such, so on.
Apparently the Monogram offering is far better in every respect so I will be on the look out for 1 or 2.
The fit is "okay" but location can be by guess work. Molding is also "okay", filler was used on most joins and many seams needed cleaning, some surface detail was removed and replaced such as outer door handles. Instructions, not always clear.
Where as the Willys sits perfectly, the Cord is a Tripod.
Paint is also car paint but from a different source, and is a metallic paint that matches a picture found on the web that also claims to be an original Cord colour.
In the interests of fairness, the problems with the Linberg kit where probably not helped by my constantly changing my mind during the build. So if you think I am doing the kit a dis service, please feel free to reply and put the record straight.

Monogram 41 Willys Coupe.
A superb kit. I actually bought it thinking that it was one of the 3 in 1 kits, wanting a more or less standard 41 coupe, (how clever am I?). The fit was excellent, with minimal filling and filing, good detail. Paint is from Halfords and is fairly close to an original Willys colour.
An interesting fact(?) found on the web, twice as many 41 coupes have been built since production ended than where ever built by Willys.

Comments and critcism welcome.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Re: 3 Cars

Post by syd-baines »

god job all three cars look great pity about the jag headlights hope you find some replacements
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Can't take a joke, don't join.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Some nice very looking cars there General. I think the Cord is repop of a Pyro original
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice builds.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done, General and an interesting description of your efforts!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”