Honda cb1300

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Honda cb1300

Post by syd-baines »

this has only just come along with the Honda dream a am going to do these together it is the Honda cb1300 from Fujimi again i have not opened the box yet so i dont know what the moulding`s are like, got to clean my bench up a little then i can make a start
syd-baines

Re: Honda cb1300

Post by syd-baines »

i have had a look of the parts and they look ok with not a lot of clean up needed, the only thing i don`t like about this kit at the moment is the frame body work swing arm and rear shocks is all moulded as one so very careful masking will be required, i have not had a look at the instruction yet as i have been cleaning my worktop ready for building, i am going to build this kit along with the little Honda dream
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

What an odd kit.
Never seen one like that before.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think these bikes are great looking modern retro roadsters, especially in the red and white scheme. I'm not so keen on the way Fujimi has approached the kit though, with the frame and tank being split down the middle and certainly I don't like the swing arm and rear suspension being moulded integrally like that.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Certainly plenty of scope for detailing.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys, i have bought a detail kit for this model, i have dry built the engine and put it in the frame justb to see what can be done before the engine has to be in the frame i tried building the engine without the side covers and taped the frame and body together but i could not make it fit so i will have to build the engine and fit it in the frame when i glue the frame together, looking at it i think i can paint the frame in two halves, the swing arm and the rear shocks and the airbox covers, i think i might be able to mask every thing when it is together so that i can fill and rub down the body work and paint, a lot of work and masking in front of me
the engine in the frame (not glued together yet)
the seam line down the middle of the tank and rear seat unit

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The way Fujimi has approached engineering this kit will make it more difficult to paint if an airbrush is used and I don't envy you the masking, Syd!

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks shaun, i have built and painted the engine i have cut the bolt heads off the casings and put hex headed rivets in that is the only mod. i am doing to the engine, i am looking at ways to improve the rear shocks i have already filled and sanded the inside of the swing arm

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice bit of painting on the engine, Syd and the hex bolts add a bit more realistic detail. IMHO the main problem with this kit is that Fujimi has tried to simplified the assembly it too much with moulded detail. In my view items such as the rear shocks, swing arm, seat, rear bodywork and tank would have been far better as separate assemblies.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i agree it would be a lot better if the tank and all the other bits was moulded separate, i suppose it is cheaper to do it this way,
i have cut the rear shocks off and scratch built new ones the parts have been primed ready for the colour, i am not realy looking forward to the masking but with the amount of body work brush painting is not an option

the rear shock cut off from one side
the scratch built shock in place not yet glued as the spring needs painting

with this picture you can see the difference it makes

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The replacement scratch built shock looks excellent, Syd and is a ginormous improvement over the original kit item. Well worth the effort if you ask me, even though you've had to go to the trouble of making up a pair!

IPMS#12300
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Excellent job on that replacement shock. Very realistic.

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Massive improvement with your scratch built shock, and good luck with masking and painting the rest.

Nigel
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Ditto what the guys have said Syd - that looks brilliant, and it has given me an idea for doing the front spring at the top of the forks on my Revell 1/8 Chopped Hog. It is a slightly convex shape and also comes molded as a solid piece, but if I file the coiled spring off and then use the inner leftover bit as a former for some stiff wire, I can wind on and form a new spring anf then melt the inner former to get ride of it and just leave the spring behind. Thanks Syd, you're a genius mate! ;-)
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys and Beany i am pleased to have been some help to you and hope you get on ok with your mod. i have built and painted the rear shocks not glued in yet i want to finish the painting and glue them on when i put the frame together along with the engine, just to show what it should look like when on the bike

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”