Airfix 1/32 Aston Martin DB5

Time to pimp them rides!
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Airfix 1/32 Aston Martin DB5

Post by Zane »

Not sure about Board protocol on this, but I thought I'd start a dedicated build thread for the DB5, even though I have shown some of this before on Workbench Window:

Completed chassis and dash:

Having painted the first topcoat of Humbrol Gloss 3, I discover that I have incorrectly scribed the boot shutline. The body moulding has a tooling seam running under the number plate light, and I assumed this was the shutline, as there was no other indication as to the shape of the bootlid. Now I know it runs just above the bumper.

Incorrect line visible under paint, new line sketched in:

Incorrect line filled, new line deepened:

Rub down & primer (note to self: procure scribing template):

Whole body rubbed down with 1200 grit wet & dry, ready for second coat:

Second coat applied:

Rubbing down for the third & final coat will commence tonight!

More soon.

Zane
"..and though we be on the far side of the World, this ship is home; this ship is England..."
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: Airfix 1/32 Aston Martin DB5

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That finish is really coming along nicely
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Thanks Dirk. The flash has bleached out the green a bit. When I've finished the kit, I'll take some pictures in daylight, as there is nothing better for car photos than daylight.

Zane
"..and though we be on the far side of the World, this ship is home; this ship is England..."
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Latest progress:

Body paint complete, radiator grille fitted, headlights in, awaiting covers and sidelights:

I made a new AM badge for the front from thin styrene sheet, as the moulded one on the body is almost non existent even before paint. I also scratched a rear number plate to help the look of the rear. I might do this in future on all models where the rear number plate is not defined, as it works well.
The only thing that detracts from the look of the rear is the rear lights, because the light lenses are too small. The centre lenses isn't actually black, its HU 1321 clear red, but looks very dark here.
Nest steps are to finish the front lights, paint the window surrounds silver, and get the rear bumper on.

Thanks for looking.

Zane
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Amazing paint job!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
montessa315
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by montessa315 »

Absolutely, a cracking shine on the paintwork.

Alan..........

Post by Jdubya »

Fantastic work Zane really turning the Aston into something special.

James
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Finished at last!

I'm pretty pleased with it, although I would have liked the grille to look a bit better defined, but my dry-brushing skills are a work-in-progress currently, and I didn't want to 'overcook' it.

Although the kit is a little crude and far from Airfix's best (as has been discussed on here before), the overall look of the finished model is very close to the real thing, IMHO, apart from the diameter of the wheels being a little small.

Thank you for looking.

Now to push on with the BMW motorbike.

Zane
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great finish Zane you've certainly got the best out of this kit. I remember never being particularly happy worth the one I built in my teens and was probably the last car kit I built until last year.

BTW have eyou seen that Airfix have re-released the Triumph Herald in a starter pack?
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Thanks for the feedback James.

Yes, I've got the reissued Herald on order at my LMS. No sign of an availability date, yet though.

The Herald is a great little kit - I built one a couple of years ago, when I won an old Airfix 'Classic Cars Collection' on eBay. I've been after another ever since.

Zane
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nice finish and a stunning paint job. Realy well done
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Zane wrote:Yes, I've got the reissued Herald on order at my LMS. No sign of an availability date, yet though.

The Herald is a great little kit - I built one a couple of years ago, when I won an old Airfix 'Classic Cars Collection' on eBay. I've been after another ever since.
Looking at some pics of the Herald I'm wondering what it would take to convert it to the rather tasty coupe version. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/271 ... d870a9.jpg;
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Dirk
Thank you.

James
Converting the saloon to a coupe would be an interesting project: I think the coupe had a shorter wheelbase, so it would be a real 'cut & shut' job! You could reuse the side glass, though, as it's flat, and I think the rear screen would be OK as is, for the coupe roof. This kit was one of the last to have seperately moulded windows, rather than the 'all in one' window glazing, so lends itself to customising.

Zane
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Zane great work on the DB5, it just shows what you can do with an old kit and lots of skill.

I don't think the Herald did used different wheelbases, they were all 2 door and either 4 seat or 2+2 the roof was bolted on and the car and could be converted to a convertible or coupe with reasonable ease. Unlike other cars of that age which would have involved major structural changes.

The beauty of working on a Herald was the whole bonnet/hood lifted forwards and you could literally walk into the engine bay and as it was based on a chassis you could lift the whole body off.

I think a coupe would be a good conversion as it was much better looking that the saloon or estate.

Airfix did a TR4 you could use the hood off that to make a convertible Herald or go the whole hog and add twin headlights and make it a Triumph Vitesse with it’s straight 6 two ltr engine.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Zane
Getting well comfy!

Post by Zane »

Thanks Splash

Your idea about the Vitesse conversion has captured my imagination, because it wouldn't be that much of a stretch: the engine, as you say, is there from the TR4A kit. You would have to marry up the six cylinder block to the Herald gearbox by removing the square lump that serves as the TR4's gearbox. Even the exhaust manifold is on the same side of the engine. I think the engine would fit under the bonnet. The bonnet would need some pretty heavy reworking for the chinese headlights, though. Scratch building required would be the chinese headlights themselves, a new grille, sports wheels and extra dials on the dash.

However, I think that this would be beyond me. But I would love to see someone have a go at it.

Zane

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”