A Classic Racer - Auto Union Type D 1/32

Time to pimp them rides!
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

A Classic Racer - Auto Union Type D 1/32

Post by Dazzled »

This kit and I go way back. I first built it when I was about 11 or 12 in it's original, and then still new, Matchbox guise. It lived on my wardrobe for a few years until my mother knocked it to the floor while cleaning. Just a tad annoyed (I didn't speak to her for a week) I put the pieces in a box and tried to forget the whole sorry incident.

Some years later, with Matchbox sadly gone, Revell re-released the kit under it's own label. I just had to have one.

The Revell release, compared to my memories of the old Matchbox kit, was something of a disappointment. The colourful plastic and chrome were replaced by dull grey and the nice, clear high quality Matchbox instructions had gone in favour of Revells interpretation of kit construction printed on their usual recycled toilet paper. Never mind though, because, hoarder that I am, I still had the Matchbox originals stashed away.

On to construction then. Somewhere between Matchbox and Revell I think the moulds must have been dropped on the floor. While the main chassis went together quite nicely, the bodywork just wouldn't play and refused to close up despite vigorous fettling and the removal of, quite frankly, worrying amounts of material. My solution, dig out the old Matchbox car wreck and disassemble it for parts. I used bits of the bodywork and, as they were chromed, ready assembled and had better quality tyres than the Revell offering, the wheels, as well as a few other selected bits and pieces. So what I ended up with is a true hybrid vehicle - Half Matchbox and half Revell (Matchell/Revbox).

To further enhance the kit I added instrument wiring, from copper wire, to the rear of the panel, a coolant pipe from electrical wire, painted blue as per references, and spark plug leads from rolled and heated Evergreen rod. I also drilled out the ends of the exhausts given that they are so highly visible on the finished model.

To be fair to Revell, the decals were excellent and went down with no problems, with a little Decalfix, over a base of Humbrol aluminium
Metalcote and a spray of floor varnish. The decals were then sealed with more varnish.

Finally, I posed the finished kit, complete with removed covers on a base made simply from a photoframe fitted with a sheet of fine wet and dry paper to represent tarmac and, after a bit of a hiatus, my 1938 Donnington Grand Prix winning Auto Union Type D lives again, albeit in transplant form.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Ratch

Re: A Classic Racer - Auto Union Type D 1/32

Post by Ratch »

Great finish on a super subject 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

That's fantastic
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Lovely work there. A kit I too lusted after for many years (Brenda Marsh's award winning one was featured in the '86 catalogue). After jRatz built one last year for the CBK 101 Gems display I managed to acquire a Revell one from a fellow forum member. I know John had issues with getting the engine cover to fit as many parts seemed to to stand too proud.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ah yes the engine cover. Hence the idea of leaving it opened. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yours came out way better than mine, I'm envious ...
The next one I build will have the bodywork opened up ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

When you do build another, one thing I found out is that the supercharger is mounted too high on the engine. Saw/sand the mounting lug off and glue it on lower down. This is both more accurate and should allow the cover to close :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

bernard5802
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bernard5802 »

Great job

Regards, Bernard

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”