much anticipated 1/24 Routemaster

Time to pimp them rides!
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

much anticipated 1/24 Routemaster

Post by rono2003 »

I for one can't wait for this kit, its such an iconic symbol of Britain etc.

but i have a problem with size (not the wifes comment)
it is shown as 1/24th scale on revells site which with my rather quick conversion would make the kit 38.1cm but they list it as 28.6 cm

is it me with my calculations or them????

NB the longer wheel base bus (as kitted) is 30' exactly in real life as they say.
peebeep

Re: much anticipated 1/24 Routemaster

Post by peebeep »

Revell seem to have got their knickers in a twist over this. Go to this page, if the box art is definitive then it is 1/24 and the Revell web pages are incorrect. In fact I would take it as read in Matt's report.

While you're on that page check out the 1/400 Aida and the groovy 1/72 A400M. Revell are 'giving it large'.

peebeep
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

To be honest this really doesn't interest me at all, though it's the first "classic" bus I've seen done in a larger scale. There are several Japanese kits of modern coaches but to be honest there are just airliners without wings.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Selwyn839
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Selwyn839 »

I have already pre ordered my first RML kit.

I am in the very happy situation in that I have two main hobbies, I am a modeller, and a bus enthusiast! You can imagine that I am in hog heaven with the introduction of this kit!

It is 24th scale and being the long (actually 29ft 10 and 9/16 inch long, not 30ft!) RML type the potential for conversions to other Routemaster variants is almost limitless. Most of the body modifications for the variants can be achieved by basically adding or removing flat body panels.

It should be quite a easy task to cut it down by removing the small side window sections into the basic 27ft long RM, or scratchbuild some platform doors for a RCL or RMC. With a bit more body surgery the front entrance RMF or RMA is achievable, which basically encompasses most if not all the Routemaster variants.

There is also a multitude of potential colour schemes, as this class of bus was purchased second hand by lots of other UK operators, and some also carried various allover advertising liveries during its service lifetime.

Looking forward to many happy hours modelling on this one!

Selwyn
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

Now rumored to be early next year :cry:
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I don't build buses, but as a Londoner, I could be very tempted by this
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

i dont build them (there isnt many around) but i do fancy this, mainly because i do remember buses with the rear access, jumped off many as a kid. I spent the day in London last Saturday and it was nice to see that there was still a couple of them knocking around.

Come on Revell get the thing released!!!!

you wouldnt catch Airfix not keeping to their release dates :-)
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

rono2003 wrote:Now rumored to be early next year :cry:
Says instock 1st of Decemeber here: http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/r ... 33394.html; :)

very tempted to get one of these, would make a nice change from planes :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

i have been waiting so long for this i just know 3 will come at once, typical buses. :-)
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

rono2003 wrote:i have been waiting so long for this i just know 3 will come at once, typical buses. :-)

Lol :lol:

This would look great alongside a black cab in the same scale. Thinking about James's comment regarding other large scale buses, I'm certain that Heller once did a kit of some old (maybe pre-war) French bus. I'll have to have a rummage aboput for a catalogue.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

That was a quick rummage ;-) . I unearthed a Heller catalogue from 1984-85 and they did indeed produce a large scale model bus, a 1/24th Renault TN 6C "Bus Parisien". It's certainly pre-war from the look of it-it has a starting handle- and the catalogue lists the length of the model as 394mm.

This could be the basis for a collection. :roll: I wonder if any of the manufacturers will pick up on this as an untapped area for models. There were some quite interestingly designed buses over the years.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

Dazzled wrote:
rono2003 wrote:i have been waiting so long for this i just know 3 will come at once, typical buses. :-)

Lol :lol:

This would look great alongside a black cab in the same scale. Thinking about James's comment regarding other large scale buses, I'm certain that Heller once did a kit of some old (maybe pre-war) French bus. I'll have to have a rummage aboput for a catalogue.

Revells "Black cab" is also due out in December but not seen any shots of that at all, can only guess early next year on that, but they would look good together for sure.

it may be just a rerelease of this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVELL-AUSTIN ... %26ps%3D50;.
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

its arrived!! off to collect mine now may do an inbox review later.
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

wow! firstly the box is huge 2' x 16" x 4.5" (in old money) it is as we now know 1/24 not 1/32 and it has 391 parts as opposed to the advertised 150.
Also the size has been corrected at 381mm in length

Moulded in two shades of grey (thank god not the red arrows red) with 20 sprues 3 body sections and 6 rubber tyres, and at a quick glance is moulded to perfection with no flash and ipm seem few and well hidden.

First look suggests that is not for the faint hearted with all seating requiring decaling for the look of the fabric and a hell of a lot of painting, for sure a lot of room will be required for the build.
A nice touch is the choice of engine with the good old fashioned Leyland lump and also a scania alternative (presumably later on in life the leyland became obsolete or uneconomical). i think i will stick with the leyland.

Two versions can be built, but only slight difference between them.

some sprues and decal sheet

Selwyn839
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Selwyn839 »

Just got mine, Had a quick look and there are a few problems!

Engines both really innapropriate. RML were all fitted with AEC engines. Although interchangable I think only one RML ever had a Leyland unit in service. (not one of these fleetnumbers!)

My info says Both fleet numbers depicted in the decals were re-engined with Cummins engines not Scania. but one may have been fitted with a scania in preservation?

Front wings are late standard RM Wings, not the revised profile RML type. (not level with Radiator bottom profile) These are Ok for a post privatisation colour scheme, as they were fitted to some RML, (check references on this) but then the front reg plate is now in the wrong place for those wings! (see boxtop)

Both buses I think are depicted in post Preservation schemes, not service schemes. Poor research by Revell.
Overall though an OK kit.

As long as you keep the bonnet closed, and with a little bit of work on the front end can be made into a good model.

Out with the Glue and paints!

Selwyn

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”