Finally completed, Tamiya Lotus Super 7 as KAR120C Number 6

Time to pimp them rides!
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Finally completed, Tamiya Lotus Super 7 as KAR120C Number 6

Post by m1ks »

After a long long build period this is finally at a stage i'm happy to call 'finished'

The kit is the Tamiya 1/24 Lotus super 7 as per the title, it's one of Tamiyas older kits but is a decent one overall with a little cleanup and filling required.
It has scratch built rear lights from clear sprue, (the kit supplied ones are incorrect), though they are a little overscale, i'd look at alternatives if I built another.
It also has a set of Resin cast Lotus Elan wheels which were offcasts kindly supplied to me by user Stevenski on the Escale forum from when he built his version. The car in the series used pressed steel elan wheels and the kit supplied ones are incorrect.
Piping was added around the seat back and hood cover, visible in the TV shots and also on the seat bases, these were never visible but I call it artistic license,
License plate KAR120C was created on PC, sized and printed on ordinary paper stock then glued in place.
HT leads, (albeit too thin), throttle cable and battery leads added to the engine bay.
Engine block painted BRG and rocker cover chrome, (alclad), again, artistic license as the engine is never shown. (though it's known to be a 1500cc Cosworth engine)

For those who know, this is based on the Lotus seven driven by Patrick MacGoohan in the TV series, 'The prisoner' (opening credits and about three of the episodes in detail)

For those who don't know, heres a potted synopsis.

TV spy drama filmed in the 60's, Patrick MacGoohan, a spy dissilusioned with his job, quits only to be gassed to unconsciousness and bundled off to wake in a replica of his room on a mysterious island run by powers unknown, everyone is known only by number, no names, he doesn't know if he's been captured by his own or the enemy, they want the information he has, he wants to know his captors identity, intentions and to escape.
The car is seen in the youtube clip at the bottom of this page, opening credits.

Anyway, to the car.

General shots:

Cab:

Engine detail:

Chrome fuel filler:

Piping and spare wheel retaining strap detail:

Video clip:

[video=youtube_share;DrN0LeC-LZU]http://youtu.be/DrN0LeC-LZU[/video]
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Finally completed, Tamiya Lotus Super 7 as KAR120C Numbe

Post by Ratch »

In Many Happy Returns McGoohan proves ownership of the car by reeling off the engine serial number :ha:
A superb rendition :wanw
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Striking build.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Lovely job. Is the piping on the roof cover painted wire? Works a treat whatever it is.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

461034 TZ, no idea if this engine number was genuine, the car used in the opening credits and original episodes excepting Fallout, (the original car had been sold and shipped to the new owner in the US) was a MkII Lotus demonstrator with a 1500 cosworth engine.
The registration was retained by Lotus and later Graham Nearns of Caterham and last known, was worn on his own Prisoner limited edition replica Caterham, (no6 of which was gifted to Patrick MacGoohan)
Graham Nearns is the fella you see delivering the car in fallout and giving it a last little polish with a rag, he also did a lot of the driving sequences, rear views and such.

The piping is white stretched sprue held by tacks of Cyano.
Thanks for the kind comments, :)
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Marvelous build of an awesome car, the DVD boxset is a treasured part of my viewing stock and I have always wanted a real Seven.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

very nice work indeed :grin:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”