Two Classic Airfix 1/32 Cars - Mini and Zodiac

Time to pimp them rides!
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Two Classic Airfix 1/32 Cars - Mini and Zodiac

Post by DavidWomby »

These are VERY old issues of the Airfix Mini and USAirfix edition of the Ford Zodiac. I bought them off eBay ten or more years ago intending to make the cars my parents owned around 1965 as a gift to them but never made the time to build them.

The Zodiac was neat because this US issue had chromed parts for grille, bumpers, hubcaps etc.. although mine was missing one hubcap so I had to improvise one from a disc of plastic covered with Bare-Metal foil. I thought the Zodiac chrome would make the Mini look a bit shabby with painted bumpers, so I covered them and the grille and hubcaps with Bare-Metal foil.

When my parents decided in September to visit for Christmas, I decided it was time finally to get these built and offer them as Christmas presents. Bad idea as it turned out because it created a deadline. I travel a lot for work, so these really only got my attention in the last week and it has been stressful. The Zodiac ended up being painted 3 times (and stripped twice) before I got an acceptable finish. Then painting the silver edges round the windows didn't go very well but I decided to leave them 'as is' because I thought I'd make them worse if I tried a second coat.

Final assembly was made a bit tough because the Mini grille wouldn't fit and needed severe trimming with a file and then the same happened with the Zodiac grille and I had to repair some of the filed area with foil. The Zodiac bumpers are barely attached with Clearfix but I daren't touch them again!

Anyway, they are ready to be wrapped for Christmas and I have learned a few lessons - never model to a deadline, these old Airfix cars have some really poor fitting parts, ALWAYS dry-fit every part and never, ever, ever build another car model!!!!

David

More pics here: http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r296 ... %20Zodiac/;
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Two Classic Airfix 1/32 Cars - Mini and Zodiac

Post by JamesPerrin »

Nice to see the Ford Zodiac built up, the mini has been rereleased a few times over the years, but the Zodiac is bit of a rarity.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”