Airfix 1/32 Bentley

Time to pimp them rides!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Airfix 1/32 Bentley

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Since we have an automotive GB coming up, I thought I'd finish my entry from our last automotive GB back in 2010. For those of you involved, I tried to do this GB/kit while moving house and ultimately had to pack it in ....

Here is the original GB thread. I had reached the stage where the front fenders, in particular the left one, were not lining up with the wheels. There were some other issues, like the windscreen, but the biggie was the frame/fender alignment.

I have had this kit sitting near the bench, always in sight, as a reminder that I do want to finish it. Anyway, a couple days ago, moon and stars aligned and all that (or I was getting a jump on New Years), so I got it out, dusted it off, and checked for missing pieces, etc.

Today I put on the rear wheels. The alignment with the fenders is close enough. I did have to trim about 1 mm off the end of each axle so the hubs would mount flush.

I think my next step will be to mount the right front wheel and fender, then deal with just the left front issue. I have plans/thoughts for all the other bits & pieces, although I'd better figure out what I can use for Brit Green touch-up paint -- the little bottle of whatever it was did not survive.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Airfix 1/32 Bentley

Post by splash »

This kit brings back memories, I built it as a young lad back in the sixties. I recall it was one of the first car kits I built were the wheels actually rotated, hence it got played with a lot.

I hope Airfix re-issue it again.

Thanks for sharing and triggering a trip back down memory lane.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here's my problem. In the photo below, you can see the front fenders sit well away from the wheels, the left in particular.

And here's the fenders off the vehicle. I could try to heat the rod holding them but I can see issues with that. I could try to cut that plastic rod and refit it, but it'll not be strong. So I think I will try to shape a new rod from brass and only when I am satisfied I have a good replacement will I nip off the old part.

Unless someone has a better idea ?
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Your idea sounds like a bit of work, but you're up to it and you're in control. You've even got that nice brass. Trying to modify the plastic sounds more trouble than it'll be worth.

Regards,
Bruce
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You could just take them off

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Lovely work John. You just need to work out how best to attach the rod to the mud guards (fenders), maybe leave the little stubs attached to the guards, file the underside away till you have in inverted U shape which could fit over the rod? Or just glue the rod to the underside of the mud guards.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

@Splash -- where were you and that picture two years ago ? At least I know what my next one might look like ...

@James -- I think we're about same thoughts although I'm not going to be too concerned what it looks like under the mud guards (I was in the Army, I've guarded lots of mud) ....
parki
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by parki »

Looking good! :grin: I remember building this as a kid. Great stuff. My dad built the 1/12 version too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Here we are, after several tries, we have two bent rods that should hold the mud guards in a better location ....

Next task is to carefully cut off the existing rod on the right side only then use the original left side as a guide for angle/alignment of the right side. Once the right is done, then I can use it as a guide for the left. Theory says that I will not have crawled out on the branch and started sawing behind myself ....
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

*drum roll*

"The Amazing Ratzenberger will now attempt to attach mud guards using supports of his own fashioning!"
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I'll change my avatar to Harry Potter, if you wish ....

Here's step 1, cut off the support rod then, with a brand new #11 blade, carefully cut out the portion of the arm on the underside of the mud guard to create a small channel.

Then step 2, I taped down the kit mud guard, carefully at hash marks on my mat, then slide the new mud guard next to it and fasten (with medium CA) the brass rod at what appears the same angle, etc.

After it was fairly set, I carefully picked it up to test fit, which resulted in a bit of jiggling around, then I set it back down to finish curing. When finally set, I'll form a CA "fillet" around the rod under the mud guard to strengthen the attachment. I may result in a mildly curious bulge, but I'm OK with that ...
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

... I think we've all experienced mildly curious bulging in our time, John... we won't hold it against you.

... so to speak.

bestest,
M.
;-P
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Today I did the other mud guard; here it is curing.

Thing is, that when all was said and done, I cut have just carefully cut the support off at the mud guard, then cut away the portion under the mg, and glued the support right back on. In other words do the same as I did, just minus the brass rod. Oh, well ....

Next up will be to attach the two mud guards, then find some touch up paint and move on with the horns, lamps, wind screen, and whatever else is laying about ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My modified fitted fenders don't fit as well as I want and got taken off.
I have to rethink this.
Today was not a good modeling day.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

To what do the fenders attach on the car? I was thinking of location holes.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”