Revell Routemaster Build

Time to pimp them rides!
jargonking
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Revell Routemaster Build

Post by jargonking »

Thought I'd start my own thread for this as it's turning into a bit of a marathon....

Here's the main chassis built...only a few parts here but it ends up looking quite complex...

Some nice detail moulded in...

This gives an idea of the size...

Now on with the engine...
jargonking

Re: Revell Routemaster Build

Post by jargonking »

Got all the engine parts cleaned up and primed in Matt Black ready for the metallic finish...

A good tip for getting a realistic rust appearance on exhaust manifolds is to use baking powder...simply paint the part in liquid cement and dip in the powder...

several applications later it looks like this ready for painting...

jargonking

Post by jargonking »

Engine built and ready to install.

The finish was achieved by undercoating all the parts with Matt Black acrylic auto spray. After 24 hours the parts were drybrushed first with Humbrol 56 Aluminium followed by 11 Silver.
Then the parts were assembled and individual areas picked out in various metallic shades.
Here's a shot in natural light which shows the true colours...

Other side...

The exhaust manifold was painted red-brown then drybrushed with 62 Matt Leather.
The decal supplied for the fuel blast was carefully cut out of the sheet but I chose not to soak it but left it on the backing paper and glued it in place using CA glue to better replicate the thin metal plate on the real engine...

jargonking

Post by jargonking »

Finished the driver's cab interior last night, plenty of detail in there although being largely black the pictures don't really do it justice....

jargonking

Post by jargonking »

Progress with some of the interior parts....the fit of parts is excellent so the whole build has become a monumental exercise in masking and painting.
The grey primer floor on the left has received the first of two coats of Humbrol Slate Grey which will be weathered.

Contrast between the interior and exterior reds....all are Halfords acrylic spray cans...
Interior is Citroen Venetian Red over red primer.
Exterior is Audi Bright Red, again over red primer.
Cream is Ford Ivory White over white primer

The masking for the kickplates on the stairs took me nearly two hours!

A lot of fiddly masking here. Base colour is Citroen Venetian Red sprayed over red primer.
Silver is Games Workshop Chainmail

Some sharp masking required here...for this I used narrow Tamiya tape for the edge with the larger areas covered in conventional low tack masking tape.
Now just need to weather the grey floor.

jargonking

Post by jargonking »

After what seems like weeks of mask,paint,mask,paint, I finally got to assemble something!

Engine looks good in place...

Still a bit of work to do here but coming together nicely...

Forgot to paint the tops of the steps over the wheel arches. These will get the same weathering as the floor.
Note the vents picked out in black...

Upper floor...the dark grey base colour was drybrushed with three, gradually lightening greys to achieve a nice worn effect. I've decided to leave the central aisle in the same shade...

Vents picked out in Matt Black...very effective. To do this make sure the Aluminium is totally dry (several days) then paint the top face with Humbrol 33 Matt Black enamel. Leave ten minutes for the paint to touch dry then wrap a piece of dry kitchen towel round your finger and rub back and forth, removing the paint from the top surface but leaving it in the depressions...

jargonking

Post by jargonking »

Stair assembly, note the timetable in it's case above the luggage rack.

Painted the edge yellow as I remember them looking. I was astounded at how well the parts fit together here....

I painted the yellow edge of the stair treads prior to fitting and now I'm not sure that the edges against the bodywork shouldn't be left grey...

Boldman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Boldman »

Lovely, liked the rust effect on the silencer, will have to remember that trick :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Wow :wanw that is brilliant it's a shame the engine has to be hidden away, thanks for the rust tip.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That rusting idea is going to get a try on a few scrapyard models I reckon. Thanks for the tip.
So many models, so little time.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is fascinating; I'm learning a lot ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Brilliant build and painting so far, wonder if someone will bring out resin figures from On The Bus's?
BEEN A WHILE
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

nice build so far!, it really is one of the best kits I've had for a long long time. Revell really had put a lot of effort into this kit. there may be the odd error here and there (what kit hasn't) but overall its excellent. i notice your driver seat has not got the decalling on it are you omitting them from the cabin seats also? they are a pain to do but i'm glad i persevered with them as they do give it a bit of life.
jargonking

Post by jargonking »

No, I'm using the decals on the passenger seats but virtually all the Routemasters I've seen have got a black driver's seat.
rono2003
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by rono2003 »

jargonking wrote:No, I'm using the decals on the passenger seats but virtually all the Routemasters I've seen have got a black driver's seat.

i suppose if i had one criticism of this kit it would be the seat decalling it is not shown very clearly how they should be fitted and many people have fitted them many different ways (on britmodeller) i have gone for the red fabric down the isle side of the seat it looks right to me.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”