Manx Norton

Time to pimp them rides!
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Manx Norton

Post by Dazzled »

Inspired by Beowulf's Virago, I thought I'd share one of my motorcycle models with the group. It's not a recent build but it's one of my favourite models.

It's a 1/9th scale Manx Norton by Protar although I believe it's since been reboxed by Italeri. Either way it's an excellent kit and a real joy to build.

The model is built as a representaition of the bike ridden to victory by Geoff Duke in the 1950 Isle of Man TT.

Engine detail is exquisite.

Primary drive chain detail.

Basic instruments were all that were fitted to these bikes in order to keep the weight down.

Rear brake and final drive are well represented and, considering they're injection moulded, the spoked wheels are very good.

Correct twin leading shoe front brake set up and......

Faithful reproductions of the Avon Speedmaster tyres (AKA the "skidmaster" to us bikers).

The only part I added was a foil strap to secure the fuel tank breather pipe to the frame.

And finally, the view that most of the Manx Norton's peers got..

As a biker myself I can't help but build the occasional motorcycle model and my other hobby of restoring and fettling 20-30 year-old machinery does make me appreciate when a kit manufacturer has gone the extra mile in the name of accuracy.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Re: Manx Norton

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

very nice indeed

revell also offered it but deleted it from the catalogue about 5 years ago (got one in the stash but keep putting off doing it as its worth about 6 times what i paid for it these days!)
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Magician »

A great bike in its day (my youth) and this is a beautifully made model. I love the attention to detail. Great work. If only someone made a kit for either a Triumph 21 (350cc) or a pre unit-construction Triumph 'Speed Twin' (500cc) I had both.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great looking bike Dazzled.

Nigel

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”