my first model

Time to pimp them rides!
wot4wayne
Series 3 and Beyond

my first model

Post by wot4wayne »

I thought I should show you my first model, it's the Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper 1275S at 1/24 scale I realy enjoyed the build everything went together well and as you can see I decided to do my own thing and paint it blue.
Now as you can see I have got some glue on the window, and part of the decal for the rear number plate flaked off after it dried but I know how to stop that.
I would like to build a other one and paint it green, that's because many years ago I was offered one to buy in green but that a different story.

All in all a very nice model to build I hope you all enjoy.

Wayne

If it looks right it must be right!!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: my first model

Post by ShaunW »

I really like that Wayne, the old "proper" British Mini is such a cutie. The modern BMW effort is all well and good but it lacks the charm and character of the original IMHO. Re the glue on the window. That is unfortunate and on future builds it might be worth trying PVA woodworking glue for your transparencies or one of the fancier (read more expensive) adhesives made for attaching clear parts such as Glue and Glaze (which smells suspiciously like PVA to me!) as such glues dry clear and won't fog the clear parts, although I think they lack the outright strength of tube or liquid plastic cement glues. I stopped using plastic cement on transparencies a long time ago after suffering my share of fogged canopies etc.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Apart from the glue on the windows (and we've all done that!) it looks really good. Look forward to seeing more from you.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by BlohmWolf »

Nearly everyone will likely get glue on the windscreens. Apart from them, its a good little model!
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
wot4wayne
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by wot4wayne »

Thanks for the tip ShaunW I will try that next time, Like you this is what I call a mini not the BMW small car that just happens to have a mini badge on it (as you can tell I like BRITISH MINIS).
The last time I built any plastic models I was about 11 or 12 and I'm 53 now, I've always been in to model makeing from that age I went in to radio controlled modeling building and oporating aircraft, boats, cars and helicopters with help from my dad at the start, and I remember being told that once your a modeller your always a modeller and yes I think that is trew.

Wayne
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Very nice Wayne.

Are you going to do a red one and a white one to go with it? ;-)

Darryl
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
wot4wayne
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by wot4wayne »

Good thinking Dazzler to be honest I would like to build more, I had a Mini Clubman many years ago that was green and it was as wide as it was long I think it had 5 or 6J wheels with large flaried arches so it would be nice if I could get a mini clubman body shape in 1/24 scale.
IvanV22

Post by IvanV22 »

That was a nice looking Mini.
I also had problems with glue on clear parts before I started using white glue.
Best from Ivan
Magician
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Magician »

Very nice. I've just 95% completed two of these Minis. One yellow body with black bonnet and roof the same as the one I used to have and another one in British Racing Green. Great models to build. I would also love to find a 'Mini Clubman' kit. Although I've never owned a Mini Clubman I always thought they were the best looking of the older style mini cars. Far better looking than the current BMW effort. That's only my personal opinion though.
PS. To try to avoid getting plastic cement on the 'glass' I tried to hold the windows in with tiny blobs of Superglue applied with a cocktail stick. They fogged !

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”