BMW 507 and Lexus LFA

Time to pimp them rides!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

BMW 507 and Lexus LFA

Post by mattbacon »

Two very different cars, but inspired by the Japanese sports car duo. Both the 240ZG and the 2000GT were designed by the same guy, Count Albrecht Goertz. The 507 was also a Goertz design (probably his best -- it's undeniably one of the best looking cars ever built. So good-looking in fact that apparently BMW pulled an advertising campaign for the Z8 which paired it with the 507, because the older car made then new one look like a bit of a dog). And the LFA is, like the 2000GT, a collaboration between Toyota and Yamaha, which builds the engine...

First job on the LFA is paint -- colour matched Zero Paints Pearl Blue (don't let the web site fool you, Steve DOES have it made up). It's a three layer colour.

Silverish base coat

Translucent, slightly pearlised top coat

2-pack clear coat.

The 507 is going to be built as John Surtees car, which is fitted with a factory hard top. Since the Revell kit comes with a removable ragtop, that seems like the best place to start...

That's all for a while, since I'll be away from the bench this week.

bestest,
M.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: BMW 507 and Lexus LFA

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great colour. Looking forward to these two progressing

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is really lovely looking paint Matt and a great start with the hard top.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, guys. Life and work have rather got in the way of modelling over the last couple of weeks, but I'm back on the go again now. The hardtop has had rather a lot of iterations to get to this state:

I now need to think about glazing and how to reproduce various bits of chrome trim (there's a very visible "gutter" over the door and side windows...)

I also want to have proper grilles at the front, with a "see-through" effect, rather than just painting the solid parts black. This took some figuring out how to do...

I sanded from the back until the moulded grille would just pop out. A quick trial suggests that it will work, more or less... (there aren't enough grille elements on the moulded parts -- they should have seven horizontal bars). I'm trying to decide whether to lose the chrome and spray the whole thing chrome silver when assembled instead...

bestest,
M.
Clashcityrocker

Super job on the hard top and front grille.

Nigel
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, Nigel...

The paint is on the body now, and the interior started with "carpet" applied using Plastikote Velvet. For once, I'm keeping it he colour it comes out of the can, more or less..

Test fit of the top shows that it will fit nicely -- but also that it's too "beetle-browed", bulged up at the front. So it's out with the sanding sticks again. The body is going into the airing cupboard in a plastic box for a couple of weeks now.

It feels a bit one step forward and two back, but the real thing is quite elegant, and my version... wasn't.

I'm happy with these now. The sharp eyed will spot in this photo that the "verticals" are in front of the horizontals on one side and behind on the other. I didn't figure on the "handedness" meaning that I'd have to use the front and back of the sprue grille I'd made -- I though I'd just turn them at 180 degrees to each other. However, they're teeny-tiny in real life, and I don't think that it'll be too obvious when the thing is together. I've achieved what I wanted, though -- you can see through them!

And just to prove that the LFA is also under way... It's so crisply moulded and the fit is perfect: you could slot the engine together without glue if you wanted to!

bestest,
M.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

These are the LFA wheels. They're supposed to be "Smoked Chrome", so I sprayed them with Humbrol Metalcote Steel (which has a superb shiny metal finish when buffed) and then hit them with a thin layer of Tamiya Smoke. I thought that any brighter chrome finish would have to be smothered in smoke to be dark enough, whereas the steel is pretty grey out of the can.

The "gutter" on the 507 hardtop is made from solder. It's the most tractable material, I reckon. But to get the "square" section, I rolled it on a tile to flatten it somewhat.

And this is what it looks like in place. There'll be a bit of sanding to get a smooth surface, then primer over everything. Ultimately, I'll BMF it when the hardtop is silver again!

The 507 engine is progressing off screen...

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I like what you're doing with the Beamer Matt.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Clashcityrocker

Clever work on the rain gutter.

Nigel
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, chaps...

The BMW engine is now wired (for ignition at least). I drilled out the core of the distributor and cut a Postbox-like slot across it at the back (the wires really do emerge in a line from the side, not the top). That gave me something to stuff the ends of the wires into.

The Lexus engine is bigger, but not as much as you might think... The transmission is under construction as well.

The 507's seats have distinctive "rollovers" at the top -- or at least they do in all the pictures i can find. Some sprue gives a starting point...

bestest,
M.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Some great things going on here Matt and I can fully understand your frustration with the hard top, I've put myself in a similar position on a number of occasions in the past when attempting to replace moulded canvas tops on military vehicles with tissue and the like. Still, onwards and upwards, I'm sure you'll sort it to your satisfaction. Plastikote Velvet I have never heard of and I presume it is marketed directly at car modellers, but it certainly looks very effective for a carpet effect.

IPMS#12300
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Thanks, Shaun... the Plastikote Velvet is a "Project Paint" for crafty uses, from Hobbycraft...

That's the BMW engine finished...

The LFA power train is fantastically detailed, but in relatively few parts. The carbon torque tube is painted with Tamiya semi-gloss black. gently buffed with graphite powder.

Close-up compare and contrast...

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Darn "handedness", gets you every time :sad: That's a great solution though.

This is something else, the powertrain really looks sharp and & I've filed away the "flattening of the solder" as a useful trick.

It's going to look nice when done, I'm sure ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Several ideas pinched so far, keep it up!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Super work Matt, those are very impressive drivetrains. Hobbycraft certainly has its uses, I've visited their Leeds branch quite a few times and really must take the time to have a good rummage through the craft sections next time I'm in there instead of my usual habit of heading to the modelling section, buying a few paints and heading out again.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”