Jeff's Bag of String.

For either boxing of the new-tool Airfix Swordfish.
Runs 30 March to 30 April.
GBL is jRatz.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Jeff's Bag of String.

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Ouch, between the enginf front and the tail braces, you've gotten a rather rough kit ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I had the same problem with my tail brace, the good news is the plastic is soft enough to bend back into shape.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

splash wrote:I had the same problem with my tail brace, the good news is the plastic is soft enough to bend back into shape.

Regards Splash
I just looked at mine, and it too is slightlly deformed, not near like Jeff's.
I checked another float-boxing and it is also deformed slightly.
I check both wheel-boxings and neither is deformed.
Strange, given they are the same sprues.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It must be the way the Float version is packed, mine did look like it had been squashed.

I also noticed that when you cut other parts out with a micro saw you then have to trim a half round lump off the inside of the part. It's not a problem but might catch out the younger guys and girls starting out in the hobby. (This is probably the same on all kits I just notice it more because the part fit is so good).

Regards Splash
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

You are right Splash. Those little "nubs" in some areas are hard to clean up.

Let's see. Last night did not see me on the bench much. I have started to put together the wing parts. I like the way the struts are mounted from the inside out. I am also thinking that a little pre-rigging would work with the wings in sections.

Anyway, more of an update tonight.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I thought about pre-rigging and would if I was building mine spread, but Airfix's design of the wings makes the outer wings easy to rigg when assembled, i'm going for the build /paint /decal /rigg then assemble route. It will be interesting to see both methods for when I build my next Swordfish.

Regards Splash
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

This kit is impressive in many ways but not without a few glitches! Least it does look easy to rig.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The parts attach to the sprues on the mating surface, thus leaving the exterior surface free from blemish/clean-up - that's the theory. The reality is that with this soft plastic one must be careful to not overclean the mating surface and leave a slight gap at the point -- or underclean and leave a gap elsewhere. It does talke getting used to, but I prefer it to repairing visible exterior surfaces.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Well, things are still progressing nicely by my standards. Really enjoying this build. Some of the things I like best is the level of detail, very thin trailing edges of wings and control surfaces and the options of positioning rudder and horizontal stabs (elevators). All very nice.

So the overview:

I love that upper wing assembly. The joins needed just a tad (lets see, a tad is slightly more than a smidgeon) of filler and a thin bead of Tamiya Surface Primer to clean things up. Do take the time to test fit everything. The drawing on the instruction sheet can be a little confusing and the risk of putting the mid-section together with the struts up side down is possible. I did it and that is why a good test fit of the parts can be of value. You will know right away if you did it wrong. The indented square goes on the bottom. Or green side up for you landscapers out there. :ha:

Tail unit:

Again great design work by Airfix. And yes, macro photography shows a small burr on the rudder. :roll:

This kit is providing just the right doses of enjoyment, mental tasking that keeps me returning to the bench more often than usual. Of course my family is sunning in Florida until Saturday so it is also guilt free.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Not quite a kit that builds itself but pretty close eh Jeff? I have to agree that its a little gem and I'm really enjoying mine and everyone else's builds. Also its good to see I wasn't alone with slight gappage on the upper wing joins, a kit foible and not the builders ;-)

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

jssel wrote:This kit is providing just the right doses of enjoyment, mental tasking that keeps me returning to the bench more often than usual. Of course my family is sunning in Florida until Saturday so it is also guilt free.
I quite agree the kit keeps drawing me back to the bench, I have made more progress than I had planned.

I see you can't make up your mind what's going under the a/c or are you going for the fuel tank and a Torpedo on it's trolly?

Regards Splash
jssel

Post by jssel »

That is for sure, Splash. Same with underwing stores. I opened all the holes just in case. A Stringbag loaded for bear would be interesting.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Still in on the build guys. Doing some landing gear work than back to the wings. Family home from Florida so spent time settling them in. Yesterday I spent time with my local band of pirates in what we call a "mini meeting" Strictly social at a members home. This one was a little different as we had a build in. Sat around eating, chatting and gluing plastic.
jssel

Post by jssel »

We have legs. Things are moving ever slowly. At this point I feel like disgarding the instructions (who rads them anyway, right?) and press on. Looking at the images for each step really has me confused. It reminds me of preparing for the big test.

I just find that the isntructions are making a very well designed kit harder than it needs to be.

At any rate, it is onward to the lower wing attachment.

Oh, and I might add that the engine front is well on it's way to being completed.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oh, I don't know Jeff - I find I'm following the instructions MORE carefully on this kit, as there are a number of places I feel I could get tripped up...! :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Airfix 1/72 new-tool Swordfish SKGB”