Jeff's Bag of String.

For either boxing of the new-tool Airfix Swordfish.
Runs 30 March to 30 April.
GBL is jRatz.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Jeff's Bag of String.

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good points, Jeff & Paul both.

Airfix instructions need some white space. There are too many steps per page, all identified with a black triangle and bordered by heavy black line. If a previous step is referenced, that's another black triangle. Then you've got the folded/open wing options, also in black. Even the artwork and lines are on the heavy side.

For steps 36-37 (I'm looking at wheel kit instructions BTW), I'm not sure the significance of the "A" or "AB" are explained anywhere.

And on that same page, it would be easy to miss the fine print in the middle that reroutes you by wing options. That's significant enough to qualify for a new page for 38-46, a new page for 47-60, then start a new page back at 61. But even 61 is split between open/closed! It would also help reduce clutter by removing the black open/closed icon in each step.

Yeah, more pages cost money, but I'll bet there are some places where steps could be combined to clearly show multiple things happening, to include not such as in 67-68 labeling each rack and bomb with a heavy marker. Here we have 63-64-65-67-68, 5 steps, that probably could be done better in one or two larger ones with call-outs (not with heavy borders). It seems they are trying to lead one through simple step by simple step, but the big picture is lost.

Admittedly, I'm old school -- exploded drawing, step-by-step written instructions of what to do using real names for the parts with their numbers so you can learn something ....

FWIW ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

PaulBradley wrote:Oh, I don't know Jeff - I find I'm following the instructions MORE carefully on this kit, as there are a number of places I feel I could get tripped up...! :shock:
I agree with Paul

I only wished I did follow instructions with this kit, I just noticed from your photo that the U/C must be fitted before the wings I would have missed that as I tend to add it last.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Point taken Paul and Splash. Don't get me wrong, I love the kit and progress is being made. Far from being discouraged but somewhere I think I took a hybrid route and may have mixed folded wing parts with straight wing parts. All can be overcome. And like I say, I have been studying things closely.

It will be worth the effort because it is so nicely detailed. Planning on an old and new picture when finished.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Not necessarily knocking your method, Jeff - what ever works for you! 8-) I am someone who regularly ignores instructions completely.... :grin:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel

Post by jssel »

No worries you guys. Moving ahead. Scary thought. The rigging might be easier. :shock:
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

Got to agree the instructions do need possibly a little more clarity in places and not really matching the great engineer of this lovely kit - I would'nt worry jeff as you're doing great either way!
jssel

Post by jssel »

Red letter day! I never thought that I would venture past item 44 on the instruction sheet but I am there. Thrilled I am. Now mind you this was all my doing as the instructions, once understood, were all right. Funny. The only other time this has hit me was in building the Monogram 1/48 F-100. Not my favorite aircraft but I developed a vapor lock in my brain and the kit never got done. So what is that? 30 years?. Oh well.

But I feel rewarded and it is onward and upward.

I did, however find that parts 1b and 2b (fuselage to upper wing struts) a real weak link and so will replace the broken, mangled struts with sprue. Again the instructions in one illustration show to mount the pieces on the fuselage first and another illustration mounting it onto the upper wing. Either way being all thumbs, it didn't work out. Stretched sprue to the rescue. I do believe that the parts should be mounted on the wing first and aligned to the fuselage after the main struts are locked down. Just MHO.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Just wanted to post that the undersurfaces are painted now with Tamiya Sky Grey. It some light it appears a little dark but when the various shades of Slate Grey and Sea Grey are added it will all work out, Right?

Here is the link to my original Swordfish build:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=615;
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I had no end of problems with that same area on the Tamiya Swordfish, indicating there is no pretty way to replicate that little piece of reality.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Ok. Upper surfaces are getting painted in between work related calls. Using a mix of Tamiya and PollyScale colors. I will be "lightening" up the upper colors for the lower wing shadow effect.

Step by step, inch by inch it progresses. I still have a bit of enthusiasm going here but the little niggles are getting to me.
jssel

Post by jssel »

State o' play as of today :roll:

Darker colors applied, lighter colors on deck.

Getting happier now. Getting ready to add some wheels on the struts.

Now if work would leave me alone. Stuff going on all over the place and more when the spirng thaw starts.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Finished the paint work now and on to glossing and decaling. Boy, I don't know if I will make the deadline or not. Work has really taken hold as of late. Flooding and what not.

Anyway, press on and look forward to the evening build to "relax".
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

Deadline or not your doing great! The scheme looks spot on.

Return to “Airfix 1/72 new-tool Swordfish SKGB”