Paul's Stringbag ** Project Scrapped**

For either boxing of the new-tool Airfix Swordfish.
Runs 30 March to 30 April.
GBL is jRatz.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Paul's Stringbag ** Project Scrapped**

Post by PaulBradley »

Cheers, Alan. I recently invested in a set of very fine PE razor saw blades - this would have been the ideal kit to start using them! Hindsight is 20/20.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Sorry about that Paul.

The struts & wings mirror Tamiya & Trumpeter (who really copied Tamiya), so they are nothing new.

However, as we discussed a bit in Jeff's thread I believe, the instructions are horrendous -- too dark, too cramped, too step-by-step and the big picture as well as the little ones are obscured. I'm working on a non-CBK with 480 parts right now, same number of pages but the instructions are literally "day" to Airfix's "night" in openness, clarity, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of these limited run, fuzzy photo, resin kit guys, so I know there are worse, but .... Airfix must have some complex formula that maximizes steps and minimizes pages .... flame off ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Paul's Stringbag

Post by Saxon »

PaulBradley wrote:Project scrapped. :evil:
Sixthly, the wings shattered when I threw them against the wall...... :lol:

I am not a happy camper at the moment. I hadn't attached the wings to the fuselage (that's what I was working on), so the fuselage survives, as well as the other parts, so I've put them in one of the other new Swordfish kits I have, for a later date. I am disappointed in myself for letting this get the better of me, but also disappointed at Airfix because this kit really does have some ill-conceived engineering, and the option to do folded wings, while commendable, needs the greatest attention to get it right whichever option you choose.

Luckily, this was the third of these kits I bought, from Airfix USA at a bargain price because the box had been dented, so it isn't a big loss monetarily. So I have another two I can work on at a later date, with the accumulated wisdom from this build. It is all rather annoying though.
You got a lot further than I did anyway!

I have to admit though it is nice to hear someone stating the same problems I noticed, for a start that blasted cockpit just doesn't fit and I noticed you had to cut off the locating pins like I had to not a great thing given the amount of parts and work involved in building the damn cockpit in the first place!

The folding wing option makes it even more complicated whichever one you choose as well.

I do have the float version as well which will now be sold rather than attempted and I will look forward to building my old school Matchbox and Airfix ones now!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have to say that, in looking over my Tamiya kit recently, I was interested to see how the Airfix kit has some definite similarities in parts breakdown - not saying they copied them, but there are more than one way to do these things. :???:

Makes me nervous now about attempting the Tamiya kit! :shock:
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Paul's Stringbag

Post by PaulBradley »

Saxon wrote:I have to admit though it is nice to hear someone stating the same problems I noticed!
Glad to help! :ha: :lol:
Paul

Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Tough luck, Paul.
Wish you hadn't blasted the wings at the wall though, as you might have found it ok to continue on it a later date. But I totally understand that feeling.
Back to Splitflies :-D
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

My sympathies Paul. I feel your pain regarding the brittle plastic and snapping struts. I think I'd be on the point of finishing by now if it wasn't for the remedial work I've had to do.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Prisca wrote:Wish you hadn't blasted the wings at the wall though, as you might have found it ok to continue on it a later date. But I totally understand that feeling.
You are probably right, but after already fixing three breaks, I wasn't in the mood.... :frown: Still, I did salvage the fuselage and engine, so that work hasn't been wasted.
Paul

Return to “Airfix 1/72 new-tool Swordfish SKGB”