Lancfan's Revell Lancaster B.1 (special) *** DNF ***

Any aircraft flown by 617 Squadron.
Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Lancfan's Revell Lancaster B.1 (special) *** DNF ***

Post by lancfan »

My model will use the new tool Revell Lancaster Dambuster kit with the bomb and other parts from the old Airfix Lancaster B.1s kit which will also donate transfers to the conversion.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Lancfan's Grand Slam carrying Lancaster B.1 (special)

Post by lancfan »

Until saturday I thought I would have a quick look at the kit parts, this is the new tool kit which being a new tool should not have any accuracy or mechanical issues- wrong! although I have no complaints with the parts fit this kit suffers from a number of unforgiveable anomalies which should not have reached the production kit. The two most visible being the shallow outer wing dihedral and the enlarged radiator intakes, the dihedral can be easily fixed but the intakes are a little more of a problem and really need replacing with new parts, it has been said that Revell got this area wrong but having found one picture of a French Lancaster with this type of intake I would rather think that they simply copied the wrong type of cowling. I am surprised that aftermarket pieces have still not appeared by now but I will use salvaged parts from an old scrap example of the later old tool Airfix kit. That is about all I can say until saturday when work can begin with the fuselage interior details.

David.
David.

Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

I'll be keen to see how you get on with this. I was going to do similar but with scratch built GS bits but then found a complete Airfix GS Lancaster kit on ebay for less than a new BI/BIII kit was in the LHS so I've gone that way & sold on the Revell Lanc. At least the Revell kit has exhaust stubs, something I still need to track down for mine.
Steve.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

You may also find the wheels/tires are incorrect; please see uninformed comments here:
http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews2/aircra ... wheels.htm;
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Cheers John, I have three resin ones on standby, late pattern, treaded with an ant-shimmy tailwheel.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Steve, I have a good stock of Revell Lancaster spares and can let you have a set of eight exhaust stacks- if you want them PM your address.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Well, it's saturday and just after midnight work began with modification of the first of the cockpit parts. the ends of the bomb bay have been glued in place as has the wing carry through onto the floor/Bomb bay roof (part 7) the platform for the pilot's seat (part 1) is too long and has been cut down to the correct size, also the plinth for the pilots seat is too far back and has been cut free of that part and glued to the now shortened platform in the correct position. In the forground is a similar part along with the unwanted piece of this kit's component. The platform has been glued down to the floor and there are two ejector marks that may be visible when the model is complete so they have been filled and that is how I left the model before stopping for sleep.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

One thing I want to try with this model is to open the entry door to reveal something of the opposite interior, to this end I have glued the visible windows in place and when they are dry I will fill the step between the window and the fuselage side, smoothing the whole flush prior to scratch building the structure using stretched sprue.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

The filler on the floor has been cleaned up and the heating ducts have been added from plastic strip.

Most of the floor mounted cockpit parts are now in place along with a number of scratched additions.

David.
David.

Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

A lot of work done after midnight!

The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.

A:B 2013 11:04 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 204:55
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Not really Narayan, just the work shown in the 9.10 am post, everything else was done since that time and the work is still going on in between life things.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

This is the model at end of play on day one.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

When work stopped last night the interior was nearly complete enough to begin painting. It it has now reached that stage and looks thus, the pictures here showing the floor dry fitted in each fuselage side to display the additions in context.

Painting and weathering comes next, when the base colours are down I will post my progress.

David.
David.

aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Post by aeroplanegripper »

That is outstanding David, some cracking detail there mate.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Cheers Mark, I may have overdone the rear fuselage as only that detail nearest to the door will be seen (got carried away) Having built this kit before I do rather like it, the parts fit is brilliant and it almost builds itself and like most of the Revell range it doesn't cost the earth to buy- at around half of the price of the new Airfix kit it is a snip. It does have faults and some of them are quite baffling as to how they managed to make them given that there are no less than four Lancasters in the UK they could have come over from Germany to look at. the only awkward thing to correct is the shape of the radiator intakes and I am surprised that there isn't an aftermarket fix for these parts by now and as I am running out of old tool Airfix spares to correct them with, at some point I may have to make a pattern part of my own and take a mould for personal use.

David.
David.

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”