Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Tornado GR4 *Finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just checking in :grin:

My primary project for this GB will be this one:

Obviously, most of the "things under wings" stuff won't be used, probably just the Storm Shadows. I have the outrageously complete Flightpath after market set that will provide most of the rest, as well as a load of other details, and some new wheel wells, because to be honest, the kit doesn't really have any. I'll probably do a quick and dirty copy of a Hasegawa cockpit for use as a frame for the Flightpath cockpit bits.
Decals will come from the Xtradecal sheet that also contains markings for two Lancasters, and a Vulcan, Mustang, and Mosquito. I'll also be taking a shot at a Lancaster, and if I get half a change, the Mustang and Mosquito. Can't let those decals go to waste you know...
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Re: Rob's Tornado GR4

Post by aeroplanegripper »

rob_van_riel wrote: I'll also be taking a shot at a Lancaster, and if I get half a change, the Mustang and Mosquito. Can't let those decals go to waste you know...
Wow Rob, im going to be lucky just to get my Lanc finished in a month and youre going to get 4 others done as well ? Bags of respect mate.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

aeroplanegripper wrote:
rob_van_riel wrote: I'll also be taking a shot at a Lancaster, and if I get half a change, the Mustang and Mosquito. Can't let those decals go to waste you know...
Wow Rob, im going to be lucky just to get my Lanc finished in a month and youre going to get 4 others done as well ? Bags of repect mate.
Only three, actually, and I suspect the Mosuito will not finish in time. Normally, I wouldn't stand the slightest chance of completing more than one, if that, but I've got three weeks of vacation overlapping with the GB. That creates room for (over)ambition...
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

rob_van_riel wrote:Only three
Is that all :ha:

The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet.

A:B 2013 11:04 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 204:55
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Spent most of the day working on a decal set for the anniversary plane. Jagawa's references and initail work got me hooked; too nice not to take a shot at :-D
The tail is just a rough shape, there to be ably to see all that white stuff. The same goes for the grey rectangle.
There'll still be some work yet before I have it ready for printing, but the drawing part at least is done.

Given that I've just spent a lot of time staring I the tail, I couldn't help but notice that the one from the kit is completely wrong. This will take some fixing.

Now, on to digging out wheelwells.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I finished diggout out and replacing the wheel wells. Results shown below:
Look a whole lot better than the completely bare wells from the kit :grin:
The front one is going to need some work; the Airfix wheel well was just over a mm longer than any of the others, so I'll have to fix that gap.

I also assembled the cockpit 'tub'. Quite detailed for 1975, but I think a bit of etch may improve these, and the little console boxes really need to be integrated into a single more tub-like affair. Not today, though...
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Wow nice resin undercart bays.

Thanks for your work on the tail art Rob, can't wait to try it, top work.

Cheers
Jim
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Great artwork, Rob!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Some change of plans has been called for. The canopy on the Airfix kit appers to consist of the transparent parts only, as opposed to the transparent parts (perspex?) plus frame on just about any other kit. Unless one intends to cut the frame from the upper fuselage part, opening the canopy is out. I'm not quite that crazy, especially after a Hasegawa Vigilante tought me just what a horrible amount of work it is to do that properly.

In short, this one will have a closed canopy. There's not much point in AMSing the interior when there's no way to look at it, so I'll be saving the aftermarket bits for a kit that will allow me to do them more justice (there's a Hasegawa kit with Marineflieger decals beconing). I'll probably steal the ejection seats from there, and fill up the visible parts of the cockpit with unidentifiable boxes and pilots.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Pilots, yes! go on, wheels up and on a stand too...........
malepo
Active Participant

Post by malepo »

great artwork!

Wouldn't it be easier to have just one decal for all red and one for the artwork inside the white and two masks for the white? I mean paint the fin white, then put on the two masks and then paint it black - just curious :)
Cheers
Martin
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Jagewa wrote:Pilots, yes! go on, wheels up and on a stand too...........
After all that time spent chopping away at the blanking plates pretending to be wheelwells? I think I agree with the weasels here: YGBSM!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

malepo wrote:great artwork!
Thanks.
Wouldn't it be easier to have just one decal for all red and one for the artwork inside the white and two masks for the white? I mean paint the fin white, then put on the two masks and then paint it black - just curious :)
I'm not very experienced with masks, but how would this make things easier? Wouldn't cutting the masks be at least as tricky as drawing the outline of the white?
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Slow day for the Tornado, but just a quick status report..
Cleaned up and primed the pilots. Nicked seats for them while their Marineflieger collegues weren't watching, and assembled those. Filed the tail into shape, sloshed filler over the gaps in the wings, ditto for the Stormshadows. Small scale work on the cockpit. Some cleanup and filler work on the resin stores.
I'm of two minds about what to do with the Tornado. I really want to do one with the Stormshadow missiles, to honour 617's work with cutting edge weapons (even though those weapons typically don't have cutting edges), but I also want to do that commemorative tail artwork. Being essentially a display plane, I don't think the one with the fancy tail is likely to carry cruise missiles often. I'm tempted to grab another Tornado from the stash, and do both, probably at the cost of getting the Mosquito ready in time. We'll see...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Why not do a half and half paint scheme. Have one side with the tail artwork and the other side in 'normal' livery with the Stormshadow?
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”