Rob's Lancaster BIII Dambuster *Finished*

Any aircraft flown by 617 Squadron.
Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rob's Lancaster BIII Dambuster

Post by rob_van_riel »

Almost made it, but close enough; 22:30 instead of 21:47. Just hope the crew doesn't mind their airplane smelling of wet paint :-D

Just some quick pictures taken in less than favourable conditions. I'll replace them with better shots once I get some sunlight to work with.

<<Dumped the old pictures, new ones below>>

Records of some final entertainments with this build to follow tomorrow, but right now, I'm knackered..
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Rob's Lancaster BIII Dambuster *Finished*

Post by lancfan »

Well done Rob, she looks great.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Great work Rob.

Cheers
Jim
rob_van_riel

Re: Rob's Lancaster BIII Dambuster

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:Almost made it, but close enough; 22:30 instead of 21:47.
Looks like I was on time after all; forgot the UK is an hour behind, probably even two, as I doubt they had daylight saving time in '43. :-D
Just some quick pictures taken in less than favourable conditions. I'll replace them with better shots once I get some sunlight to work with.
Sunlight? As if, in this weather. Still, somewhat less clutter in the background, and natural light.

Records of some final entertainments with this build to follow tomorrow, but right now, I'm knackered..
So, the final entertainments...
I found out that one of the windows on the top was painted over/deleted on these planes, so that carefully set aside transparency was now a problem. Fortunately, I've done spot repairs on airbrushed paint before, and now always spray a scrap of decal paper along with the main target. If the part had fit perfectly (which it doesn't, and sanding is out) I thing the repair would have been completely invisible. Now, it merely takes effort to find it :grin:

Next up was the protective varnish. I'd been dreading this part, as handbrushing it on shows (admittedly minor) brushstrokes, while airbrushing acrylics hasn't really been my thing so far; either I didn't thin it enough, and my airbrush clogged up, or I thinned it down with alcohol, and it still clogged the brush because it dries almost instantly, or I thinned it down with water, and got the surface tension so high I just got droplets on the kit. No good all around.
Then I remembered something about adding Windex. Windex doesn't exist here, but cleaning windows takes soap wherever you are, and soap lower surface tension. So I dumped in some drops of detergent and tested. To my very pleasant surprise, it worked. The mixture dumped on the kit consisted of about 50% Sylvacryl furniture varnish, 25% water, 25% alcohol, about 1ml of Talens acrylic retarder, and a few drops of detergent. Seems to have worked rather nicely.

That left fun with the glazing. The main canopy doesn't fit, you have to squeeze it down real hard to get it to go where it belongs. With the bulged sidepanels, it doesn't fit at all, and even squeezing won't help. Lots of fun getting painted transparencies to fit. Also, some bad language :evil: After this, it could once again be squeezed into place. Thing is, Microscale Crystal Clear (PVA?) needs a long time to set. Suffice to say that my hands hurt from keeping the pressure up forty minutes later..

Final entertainment came from the wingtip lights. One behaved, but the other went PING, straight into the jaws of the carpet monster. When questioned, the monster would only say "Burp!". I had to resort to improvisation. I superglued some fishing line accross the gap, creating a front rim. This gave me a frame, in which I could then drop some more PVA, as though making a "window". This works quite nicely, and might at some time be used instead of ill fitting lights by design rather than accident.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Despite your arduous journey, first across the line and it does look quite good !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:Despite your arduous journey, first across the line and it does look quite good !!!
Arduous depending on your definition, but certainly fun (I may growl a bit now and then, but after all these years, this is still fun). First accross the line was mostly irrelevant, but I must admit to having been very keen on getting the Lancaster ready on or before the sixteenth. I'm happy with the result (although I haven't the foggiest where to put it now that it's finished), but also very aware that some of the Lancasters still in production will eclipse it completely, as they should, given the time the others, especially Lancfan and Jagawa, have spent going quite beyond what the kit provides. I'm really looking forward to seeing the others completed as well. A pity the geographical separation is so large, putting all of the output of a groupbuild like this on a single (big!) table would be something.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks very nice, Rob.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Great one Rob! :)

I'm afraid they had double daylight savings during WW2 though...

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

First past the post and a very nice looking model Rob.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Narayan
If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office

Post by Narayan »

Fantastic Rob, very nice finish.

I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

A:B 2013 11:04 2012 20:05 2011 11:10 2010 44:12 2009 19:16 2008 16:03 Overall 204:55
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

AndrewR wrote:I'm afraid they had double daylight savings during WW2 though...
So they were at GMT+2? Guess you learn something new everday :)
In that case, I repeat my apology for being 45 minutes late..
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

rob_van_riel wrote:
AndrewR wrote:I'm afraid they had double daylight savings during WW2 though...
So they were at GMT+2? Guess you learn something new everday :)
In that case, I repeat my apology for being 45 minutes late..
Yes, for the war, summer was GMT+2 (British Double Summer Time).

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”