Any aircraft flown by 617 Squadron.
Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Mustang MkIII *Finished*

Post by rob_van_riel »

Told you I was going to go after a Mustang :-D
This one is intended as some light entertainment for when I need to let the main jobs cure. Assembly work is minimal, most time will be spent on messing with the cockpit, and painting.
I've glued the cockpit bottom to the wing, and contrary to instructions, the instrument panel to the fuselage. I think I'll be able to put a pilot in with minimal surgery, and fitting will start when everything else has properly cured.
I'll have to do something about the decals, as the squadron codes are integrated with the invasion stripes, and obviously not for a 617sqn plane, but this will be easy, given that I have the kit decals to start with, and need to do some printing anyway.
rob_van_riel

Re: Rob's Mustang MkIII

Post by rob_van_riel »

Minor progress today: I testfitted a pilot figure (the one that wouldn't fit the Lancaster, to be precise), and dit some cutting inside to cockpit to make room for him. Once assured everything would fit, the interior was primed for later painting. I suspect the next work session will involve loads of painting on all three aircraft, and next to no building.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The cockpit has been painted, and since the pilot can easily be inserted at a later time, the wing and fuselage joined. Some minor work on a few seams will be required, but generally, fit is good. The bottom picture is all of three parts, just about the closest thing you'll find to instant Mustang without resorting die cast models.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Despite the fact that fit is generally good, the seam between fuselage and wing did need filler, and sanding the next day. I've assembled the propellor, and will probably finish construction to the point where I can start masking and airbrushing on the next session, or the day after if more filler is called for.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Contrary to appearances, I have not forgotton this kit. I finally got the pilot painted.
He's sitting in the cockpit now, and I feel he looks quite a bit oversize. Unfortunately, this kit is up to some extent a snap-tight, and once the canopy clicked into place, there was not a whole lot that could be done to get it off again. This is one big guy in a small plane..
The Mustang is now primed, and like the Tornado, ready for the paintshop. The airbrush is going to earn it's upkeep the next few days :grin:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Despite the "easy assembly" nature of these kits, the detail from the ones that I've seen on here, including this one, doesn't look too bad at all. Nice paint job on the pilot.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

ShaunW wrote:Despite the "easy assembly" nature of these kits, the detail from the ones that I've seen on here, including this one, doesn't look too bad at all. Nice paint job on the pilot.
Exterior detail is very nice on the ones I've seem, except that the undercarriage often leaves something to be desired; the Spitfire, for example, just has bare legs, no doors anywhere in the kit. Interior detail is typically non-existent.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The Mustang came out of the paintshop today. I suspect that there's too much green on the port wing, and too much grey on the fuselage, but the areas in question will be covered by the invasion stripes. I didn't have any pattern without those stripes to work from, so I just left everything under the stripes whatever colour was most convenient.

The funny thing is, the Xtracolor Medium Sea Grey which appeared much too green on the Tornado actually looks quite good on the bottom of this Mustang.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Status picture of the day:
All that remains is wheels, prop, some minor bits, and varnish
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good Rob and the exterior detail appears to be decent enough.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just unmasked the canopy. One of the side panels got fogged up, and will require rather more attention than I like :sad:
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Almost done and still two days to go.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

And now for my final trick in this GB: the finished Mustang:

Just because I couldn't resist, some shots of all three builds:

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Rob's Mustang MkIII *Finished*

Post by lancfan »

Brilliant set of Dambusters Rob.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”