Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......

Any aircraft flown by 617 Squadron.
Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
Allan31
Active Participant

Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......

Post by Allan31 »

After fondling plastic for a night going back and forth between the Airfix and FROG kits and looking at photos, I've decided to go with the Airfix rather than the FROG for a couple of reasons. Not the least of which being we should have an Olde Airfix Dambuster on an Airfix forum...

The aircraft used in the raid had the dorsal turret removed to save weight. As time is limited for building these days and Airfix has already removed said turret, one less thing to do is a help. I also noticed that I like the shape of the Airfix engine nacelles better than the FROG. Not that the FROG's are bad, just different.

The kit comes with all that's needed to do a Dambuster. The parts to modify the bomb bay are included on the white sprue.

It even has some usable decals for Guy Gibson's aircraft.

This will be mostly OOB but for two areas. One, the bomb itself is smooth on the outside and Airfix has it ribbed. And two, as can be seen on Gibson's aircraft below, the windows are visible so I think I'll be drilling those out.

Something this big to build is just the excuse I needed to clean off the desk, building single seat fighters only requires a tiny space.

So is the cockpit green or black? I've seen it both ways....

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......

Post by Jagewa »

Looking forward to your build Allan, will you be vacforming all the transparencies?

It's a great photo Gibson's crew, it always makes me stop and think, especially as none of them survived the war.

I also find it unbelievable that they didn't preserve ED932.

Cheers
Jim
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Jagewa wrote:I also find it unbelievable that they didn't preserve ED932.
Did it even survive the war? I guess that during the war, it was just another Lanc.
Allan31
Active Participant

ED932

Post by Allan31 »

ED932:

Scrapped – 29 July 1947

Actual Serial Number ED932/G: Type 464 (Provisioning) Lanc., 617 Sqn del'd 30-4-43, AG-G (Gibson’s aircraft), later AJ-V used occasionally for operations, trials and training duties by No. 54 Base at nearby Coningsby (No. 54 Base included Coningsby, Metheringham and Scampton), Stored 46 MU del'd 7-2-45, 61 Sqn del'd 8-46 YF-C For ‘Operation Guzzle’ (disposal of remaining UPKEEP mines), but in fact flew with No.1 Group Major Servicing Unit using Scampton Station Flight ‘s ‘YF-‘ codes, and were flown by crews temporarily detached in from other Bomber Command squadrons. Sustained Cat AC damage on take-off for an Operation Guzzle sortie on 8-11-46, was re-categorised to Cat E and scrapped at Scampton.

This I all found on a web site: http://www.lancaster-archive.com/index- ... rasier.htm;

Great stuff there, hours of just poking around. Note however that they say Gibsom's aircraft is listed as AG-G, not AJ-G. I can't account for the anomaly.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.
Allan31
Active Participant

Re: Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......Part 2.....

Post by Allan31 »

For its age, this is really an amazing kit. Even by today's standards, to have a kit that just "clicks" together is good fun.

I know I said I was doing this strictly "out-of-box" but the cockpit really needed a little enhancing. I added only the navigators table and seat, the rest I drew on in pencil and paint.

All the rest of the basic assemblies fell together quickly. Again, I'm amazed at how well this "olde" kit goes together.

Oh joy, oh rapture...

I am a bit curious about these little holes behind the cooling flap.

I checked the destructions and no mention is made of a part for those holes. Is that the way they should be?.

I'm tempted to fold up some sheet brass or something to plug them up.

All the major assemblies fit together beautifully.

I am still tempted to make this a flying build.

I should really resist, I don't have the time.....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

rob_van_riel

Re: Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......Part 2.....

Post by rob_van_riel »

Allan31 wrote:I am a bit curious about these little holes behind the cooling flap.
I checked the destructions and no mention is made of a part for those holes. Is that the way they should be?.
The new Revell also has these holes, so there seems to be some agreement between the kit manufacturers that they ought to be there. Also, I haven't heard Lancfan mentioning he was going to do something about them, so they're probably allright.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Allen, Rob, Those are holes in the full-size aeroplane, I don't know what purpose they serve- there is an hydromatic pump, an oil filter and a priming pump in that general area so they may be for normal access but could simply be to scavenge fumes from the cowlings.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It does look good in a flying pose though Allan ;-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MDT

Post by MDT »

This is one of many builds here making me want to go out and buy a Lanc! (I know I need to sort my Vulcan first...)
Allan31
Active Participant

Re: Allan's Olde Airfix Dambuster.......cancelled

Post by Allan31 »

Sorry folks,
I was off to a great start but have had NO time to build or even visit here since the start.
I will finish AJoG someday but will not rush for the deadline.
I'm sure there is a new tool Lanc in my future and that will be built gear up and low on the water !!
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”