Rob's Mosquito

Any aircraft flown by 617 Squadron.
Runs April 27th to June 2nd.
GB Leader is lancfan.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rob's Mosquito

Post by rob_van_riel »

The final kit in this GB for me (even my overambition has limits..) will be the Tamiya Mosquito.

This promises to be mostly a shake and bake kit, like the Tonkas, which is good, as I really can't afford a problem kit on this schedule :-D

Rather predictably, markings will be those included with the Xtradecal 617 set.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Rob's Mosquito

Post by ShaunW »

Give the box a good shake, add in a tube of glue and paints of the appropriate shades and then into the oven at 200 C for 30 minutes - should come out as a competition standard model :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I finally started work on this kit today, even after having concluded there is exactly zero chance of finishing it in time. I figure this is called a group build, not a group finish, and I'm building :ha:
More importantly, if I don't at least get this thing started, it will sit in the stash unused for years, and that's not what I had in mind.

Shaun wasn't kidding when he confirmed my shake-and-bake expectations, this thing wants to become an airplane. So far, I've assembled the wings sans nacelles, and glued the cockpit to the wing spar. Everything else was just thrown together without glue. It all seems to fit perfectly.

Although the photo doesn't show it, the fuselage is actually made up of four parts. The front (version specific) part of each half is a separate piece. I viewed this with some suspicion, but Tamiya have come up with a simple locking mechanism that simply clicks into place, and is then completely hidden by the wings once assembled. I may not even need to glue this together, so close and tight is the fit.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Tamiya are hard to beat in my estimation Rob and I can never recall having any major problems with one of their kits, even the ones from the '70's - this should be a nice build for you.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've assembled the engine nacelles, and attached them to the wings, along with the bomb racks. This will now need to cure for a bit, after which it's time for inspection primer. I expect to find very little that needs correcting :grin:

I've also assembled the cockpit module, which is a little gem. There's not much to see yet, but I have high expctations of it; it should be a beauty once completed.

The GB is now closing, so this build will continue on http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6986
Nax

Post by Nax »

I've got one of these so I'll follow how it all goes together, it's got way more parts than an Airfix kit. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.

Return to “Dambusters! 617 Sqn GB”