Dirk's 1/72 Airfix P-51D Mustang "Detroit Miss"

Celebrating the good old P51 Mustang in all it's incarnations. Any variant and scale and 'what if's' are welcome.
Runs May 1st to June 1st.
GB Leader is Gregers.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Dirk's 1/72 Airfix P-51D Mustang "Detroit Miss"

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This week I learned of the passing of another American Hero and thought he was due a tribute build. I realize the aircraft has been built to death by modelers all over the world but I don't care

Urban L. "Ben" Drew
Date of birth: 21-Mar-24
Place of Birth: Michigan, Detroit
Home of record: Detroit Michigan

Urban Drew became a P-51 ACE in World War II, credited with six victories. For the mission in which he became the first pilot to shoot down TWO German jet aircraft, he was originally submitted for the Distinguished Service Cross, which was denied due to insufficient evidence of his victories; the gun camera had jammed and his wingman, Second Lieutenant Robert McCandliss was shot down and held as a Prisoner of War. Thirty-nine years later, the total story of this mission was confirmed by both the German Luftwaffe archives and the American Air Force archives, and on May 12, 1983, Major Drew became one of two World War II airmen to belatedly receive the Air Force Cross. Drew flew a yellow nose P-51 Mustang christened "Detroit Miss"

For this build I will probably be using this starter kit. The decals are heading toward me as we speak.... 8-)

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dirk's 1/72 Airfix P-51D Mustang "Detroit Miss"

Post by Chris »

Excellent choice Dirk, I have three sets of those in 1/48!
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is a great choice Dirk, "Detroit Miss" is one of those classic schemes and it's great to see it being done in this GB. Drew was indeed a hero - shooting down two Me-262's was a hell of a feat and it is sad to hear of his passing.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Work is progressing but I have nothing to show of any importance yet. Decals still haven't arrived yet.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “P51 anniversary G/B”