Bofors Gun Tractor

For vehicles that stand behind and support the fighting vehicles.
Runs 1-30 June.
GBL: lancfan
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Bofors Gun Tractor

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

As mentioned, I'm going with the gun tractor from the Airfix Bofors & Tractor kit ....

Unsure if the GB allows the Bofors also, but as I have a "plan" to make the best of the Airfix & Milicast kits, it may be a future project anyway ....

I'm sure we all know what the boxart and parts look like, but here's the sprue shot anyway. I had to include the gun parts as the tractor parts are spread on all three sprue.

I have a lot going on, so progress will be slow .... it's getting to be a rule rather than the exception it seems :sad:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Bofors Gun Tractor

Post by lancfan »

jRatz wrote:As mentioned, I'm going with the gun tractor from the Airfix Bofors & Tractor kit ....

Unsure if the GB allows the Bofors also, but as I have a "plan" to make the best of the Airfix & Milicast kits, it may be a future project anyway ....
John, this is after all a gun tractor so I don't see anything to prevent a bofors gun stowed for travel being included as it is then simply a typical towed load for this type of vehicle and adds character.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The sprues give no hint to what the finished vehicle will look like. I'm sure Ive seen it before but can't recall at the moment so will be extra interesting watching it come together.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sorry, James, here's the box art ...

Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

All goes together fairly well as I remember.

Nigel
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's a very nice kit indeed. I've built one and still got two spare. I built the guns for a flak battery dio.

I'm sure you'll do it justice John and have a great deal of fun building it :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I think, way back in sign-up, I called this as a Bedford, when in fact it is a Morris CDSW 30-cwt, as y'all well know. :oops:

This is not one of the world's better documented/photographed vehicles, but I did find enough to get interested in something more than an OOB build. While the chassis and body seem fine, the cabs could use some work ....

I can see that getting the 4 rear wheels square, then getting all 6 true and level and on the ground are key to a good looking model ....
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The cab's a bit bare, but it all goes together very nicely. Definitely one of the better Airfix vehicles.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

One of my first small scale pieces. I liked building it a lot. Nice cloice John.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Chris

Post by Chris »

Its a good choice of kit, I bought one once from the briefly open branch of the Squadron shoppe on long island NY in 1978.
Honcho of ASMMF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

And we're off ....

First, I'm impressed with the fine detail -- rivets, bolts, spring leaves, etc -- and the many parts, such as axles which seem in scale. OTOH, I have spent a lot of time cleaning up seams in these parts, and filling ejector marks.

You will see some un-sanded filler. The axle assemblies are not glued on, they are just fitted while their glued parts dry into place -- you'll recall I was concerned about getting 6 wheels neatly on the ground.

The rear axle assembly is fun -- you need to juggle 5 parts and the glue brush to get the basic assembly done, but it's do-able.

The front axle assembly does not sit well on the frame - I had to widen the hole on the right frame rail and do a bit of trimming up front to get the axle to sit squarely across the frame rails.

I have been doing some research, you won't see the impact of that until we get the chassis upright and started on the body ....
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

There is an issue, but as I haven't figured out why, I cannot figure how to correct it.

You can see a hint in the photo above. The front & rear wheels on one side line up well, but on the other side, the front wheel sticks out noticeably. I'm a bit puzzled because the front axle measures equally on each side, so it must be something in the frame or springs. I may require slicing the front axle in the middle to shorten it and then forcing all the parts into alignment. The other option is to make the front wheels turn toward the bad side, that will kludge it ....

I'll play with it .... I really need to get the wheels cleaned up and temp mounted to do this right.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I have a road trip for work today John but I will pull mine out of the showcase and take a picture. Might help. Don't remember having that problem.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I don't remember that being a problem either. Hmm...

Taking a look at the picture, are the springs aligned parallel with the frame? The perspective is a bit off in the photo, but it looks a bit off to me.
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The front springs seem wider at the front than at the back to me John, especially the right hand front as viewed from above in your photo (left hand front when the chassis is the correct way up). It could however be a perspective issue with the photo, or maybe they're supposed to be like that (I've never built this kit) or maybe it's my dodgy old eyes! I just thought I'd throw my two pennorth (probably about 5 cents :grin: ) in.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Military Support Vehicles”