Georges Guynemer's Gosling ***Fin***

For aircraft marked in a completely different scheme.
Runs 1-30 June.
GBL: Ian
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Georges Guynemer's Gosling ***Fin***

Post by AndrewR »

Famous French WW1 ace Georges Guynemer is not shot down in 1917, but goes on to become the Greatest Air Ace of World War I, with over 100 victories, including both of the Richtofen brothers. Unfortunately, in 1918 he contracts the Spanish flu' and, although he recovers, his health is poor. He moves to the warmer and drier climate in Morocco, where he teaches engineering, and acts as a consultant to the French aerospace industry. After the collapse of France in 1940, Guynemar volunteers his services to the Free French forces in the UK, and they send him on a tour of French colonies and territories in the Caribbean, to rally support for the Free French, rather than the Vichy government.
Whilst in the area, the US Coast Guard loans him a Widgeon to fly around in, and to honour him, repaint it in the colour scheme of his Nieuport from 1917.

There's the back story for you.. :)

Here's the Nieuport, based on the Eduard Dual Combo Boxing

And here's the blank canvas to work on:

The decals were completely shot, but there actually isn't that much flash on the kit - the tooling was only around 10 years old at this point! The pilot is completely unacceptable, even as a horror film extra, so he will have to be replaced. It would be nice to have GG and a companion in the cabin, and a pilot in the front. I'll see what I can do.

The French roundels will come from a sheet of Colorado exotic Spitfire ones, because I need to save the Eduard ones for the two kits in the dual Combo.

I may paint the Widgeon/Gosling a light grey rather than metallic, as I'm likely to get a better finish on it!

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Georges Guynemer's Gosling

Post by Ian »

A nice back-story, Andrew. Quite believable, except for the shooting down of both Richtofens - everyone knows the Red Baron was shot down by ground fire!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

This will look smart, looking forward to seeing it done. I know everyone bangs on about how awful the kit is, but I may have to get one anyway, as I do like Grumman amphibs...

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Ian wrote:A nice back-story, Andrew. Quite believable, except for the shooting down of both Richtofens - everyone knows the Red Baron was shot down by ground fire!
No, the Red Baron was completely outclassed by Georges when they met up - Georges had a cannon firing through the propellor shaft, and took out MvR with one shot! :mrgreen:

So there! :ha:

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Sir T wrote:This will look smart, looking forward to seeing it done. I know everyone bangs on about how awful the kit is, but I may have to get one anyway, as I do like Grumman amphibs...

Regards

Stuart
Well you could get the modern boxing of a grotty old kit, with nice new decals, or an old boxing (or bagging) with a pressing of a grotty old kit from a slightly less worn tooling, but with naff decals. The choice is yours :ha:

Cheers

Andrew
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

Or spend the kids inheritance and get a Sword one
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

fearless frankie wrote:Or spend the kids inheritance and get a Sword one
It's a perfectly good GBK (|Grotty British Kit), why waste money.... :ha:

Here is the said grotty old kit:

Not many parts, which is good. The decals are stuck to the protective sheet, so forget them. The propellers look suspiciously weedy. I have seen references to 78 inch diameter wooden props being used. I haven't measured these yet, but they just don't look right. I've a scratchbuilt simple two blade prop before, so this is a tempting option.

The wings will be thicker than a thick thing unless I thin them out a bit. I'll think about that. :)
The fuselage needs a bit of trimming but should go together reasonably well. Famous last words... :roll:

Notice that the rear side windows are not the same same on port and starboard. I've no idea how that happened. It's not a feature of the real machines as far as I can see. The windows are like jam jars. :shock:

The windows do fit, but look terrible.

Pilot. Less said about him the better!

The nacelles are a known problem and are just a horrible fit I will fit them into the wings and then shim between the two halves of the nacelle to get everything to look right.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

AndrewR wrote:
Sir T wrote:This will look smart, looking forward to seeing it done. I know everyone bangs on about how awful the kit is, but I may have to get one anyway, as I do like Grumman amphibs...

Regards

Stuart
Well you could get the modern boxing of a grotty old kit, with nice new decals, or an old boxing (or bagging) with a pressing of a grotty old kit from a slightly less worn tooling, but with naff decals. The choice is yours :ha:

Cheers

Andrew
oh the agony of choice.... :-)
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Sir T wrote:
oh the agony of choice.... :-)
Having done a little test fitting on my kit, I'd say get the oldest pressing you can, and to quote the New Seekers "Beg, Steal or Borrow" the decals. The new boxing has two options in it, so there must be victims dedicated modellers with spares.

Cheers

Andrew
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Good luck Andrew.

The problems I found with my build was the engines as you have said and the canopy is to wide for the body, I had to stick it and then sand it down and polish it. here was my build thread

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by VickersVandal »

I have spare decals from the new boxing. I'm unlikely to use them, given that neither option applies to the Special Air Police Gosling flown by James Bigglesworth.... ;-) :)
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:Good luck Andrew.

The problems I found with my build was the engines as you have said and the canopy is to wide for the body, I had to stick it and then sand it down and polish it. here was my build thread

Regards Splash
I'm planning on sawing it in half! Subtlety? Nah! :mrgreen:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That sounds like a better plan than mine was.

Regards Splash
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:That sounds like a better plan than mine was.

Regards Splash
I just can't be bothered doing all that repolishing. I reckon that I'll fit the two halves before I mate the two halves of the fuselage and then drip some Klear into the join between the window halves. In theory that should make the join quite transparent. Otherwise, I'll install a very heavy bit of canopy framing to hide it :-D

It's easier to build this once you see all of the issues everyone else has had. I'll also have to do something about the undercarriage, which is well dodgy.

cheers

Andrew
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You might find this site useful http://www.john2031.com/grumman/widgeon ... ation.html

Regards Splash

Return to “Wulf in Johnson's Clothing”