Beany's Builds

For aircraft marked in a completely different scheme.
Runs 1-30 June.
GBL: Ian
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Beany's Builds

Post by beany »

I absolutely love this topic, and have long been inspired by the incredible graphics on the Claveworks Graphics site as has previously been referenced - but here it is again...

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/air ... start.html;

So, on the basis of the massive list I have made from going through all the Fantasy and What-Ifs on there, and my knowledge of what decals I have spare, and/or what kits and decals I have that I can use for this GB, I have come up with this list, just for starters, as I will no doubt carry on with these long after the GB has finished.

Colour scheme swap:

1/48 Revell/Monogram Messerschmitt Bf110E (Wespe markings) with Revell 1/48 Douglas A-26 Invader

One offs using spare/donor decals:

1/48 Monogram MiG.29 in F4E Phantom Vietnam scheme markings
1/72 Airfix Javelin in Hungarian Air Force scheme ( a stalled Academy 1/48 MiG21 will be the donor for the decals)
1/32 Revell Phantom F4F in Ju87 Stuka tropical scheme with snake on the side (21st Century Stuka as decal donor)
1/72 Revell/Hasegawa EE Lightning in BBMF (as a Mk.I spitfire) camo scheme.
1/32 21st Century MC.202 Veltro in 85 Sqn RAF marking - Earth/Stone/Azure blue (from various generic RAF decal sheets)
1/32 scrapper Revell Me.262 to be renovated and done in WWI Jasta colour scheme - red/gold/green/white.
1/48 Bf110 in Gulf Racing team colours (orange over powder blue) - Airfix car as decal donor
1/72 Airfix Westland Whirlwind in Botswanan Air force colours
1/72 Revell Avro Lancaster in Romanian Air force scheme (Matchbox He.111 as decal donor)
1/48 Revell He.111 in Egyptian Air force colours
1/48 Revell F117-A Stealth in early MiG.29 two tone grey colour scheme.
1/72 Airfix Su.27 Flanker in colourful early F-14A Navy scheme (Matchbox F-14A as decal donor)

Probably first to be built will be my long stalled Revell 1/32 F-16A in Bf109G mottled scheme with stripey nose, yellow chin etc.

I'm not going to bother setting up a vote thread, but if any of the schemes on the list takes your fancy let me know as it will help me choose which one to do next.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Re: Beany's Builds

Post by Sissel »

Very interesting Al! Splendid list of choices. I'm already confused. :ha:
beany wrote:1/32 Revell Phantom F4F in Ju87 Stuka tropical scheme with snake on the side (21st Century Stuka as decal donor)
This one caught my attention. Outta be something special! :grin:

Your plan with the F-16 sounds very nice. Can't wait to see you go at it.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I'd like to see the -262, Al, as well as the F-16 (was that the Tigermeet boxing?)
The Flanker would be good, and at a quick glance you'd be challenged to tell you'd not built an F-14. The eye sees what it expects to see most of the time.
And welcome aboard, by the way!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
beany

Post by beany »

Thanks for the welcome Ian - I had to finish three commission builds first before I could throw my hat into this ring! The F-16 is indeed the old Belgian Tiger Meet boxing.

Artwork for the Luftwaffe F-16 here: http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/air ... y_028.html;

Artwork for the Stuka scheme F4-F here: http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/air ... y_045.html;

cheers
Al.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything looks good in a WWII German paint scheme!
beany

Post by beany »

Here are the first three ready to be started in their new funky schemes:

Cheers
Al.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

The F-16 I was looking forward to seeing but now you've posted a pic of the Hurri I have a new favourite! I can't wait to see it. How do you plan to do the underside of the wings and the chequerboard on the sides? Also, what scale is it? If it's 1:48 I can mail you some decals for the undersides (that I most likely won't use) from an Eduard kit, if you like?
beany

Post by beany »

The Hurricane is 1/32 Ian. I'm not sure how to tackle the underside - there are decals available (thanks to the influx or Wingnut kits) in 1/32 from Hannants but they cost way more than the kit did. I may even hand paint the lozenge pattern underneath :shock:
The chequerboard sides will be achieved with masking tape and a sharp knife!
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Do you want me to measure my 1:48 lozenge decals?
beany

Post by beany »

Ian wrote:Do you want me to measure my 1:48 lozenge decals?
Yes please mate - if they are big enough not to look silly under the Hurricane wings they may well be an option. The time they'd save not having to hand paint the lozenges could be spent finding even more stalled kits in my stash to receive the 'Wulf in Johnson's Clothing' treatment. :lol:
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Just got them out to measure them. I haven't bothered. The decals are for the fuselage and not the wings. What is there would cover a 1:72 pair of wings but that's it.
Sorry, mate.
beany

Post by beany »

No wucka's mate, thanks for looking.
beany

Post by beany »

I'm sorry guys, but I've had other builds on the go that had to be finished first, and to be honest I'm really struggling
with the one month only duration GBs. The option I actually started to tackle from my list was this:

1/32 scrapper Revell Me.262 to be renovated and done in WWI Jasta colour scheme - red/gold/green/white

It was a restoration project donated to me by my son who lost interest in modelling some years ago and gave me all of
his kits and equipment. Here are some pictures of what I inherited, after I had deconstructed the basic kit (fortunately
he had used glue that didn't weld the plastic too much),

and as of today it looks like this. Primed with enamel white, which I had lots of going spare.
There are some underside panel which went missing years ago which I shall have to scratch replacements for.

The other project was to be this Airfix Javelin finished in Hungarian markings with decals from an Academy 1/48 MiG21MF.

I will definitely continue with these and many of the other builds in my list in the first post here, so take an occasional
look in my workbench thread for progress.
Cheers
Al.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Not to worry, Al. Your -262 was always going to be pushed to get finished, given it's size. Now you've whetted our appetites we'll check in regularly to keep up with progress.
And I'll be badgering you constantly as I really want to see the -262 and the F-16 finished!

Return to “Wulf in Johnson's Clothing”