Bluesteels NF14T ***FINISHED***

Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the Gloster Meteor.
Starts July 1, ends July 31,
GBL Paul Bradley
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Bluesteels NF14T

Post by bluesteel »

Tailplanes now attached and smaller seams given the Tippex treatment. I have also given the two High Speed Silver candidates on the P-40 a layer of Matt Coate, which now looks just the part for HSS that's been left in the weather for many years:

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

That HSS looks properly spotty! Should look good on the Meteor.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

First coat of Tamiya Flat Aluminium went on quite well. Will look even flatter eventually after a Matt Cote:

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Getting close to finishing the painting, radome and anti-glare done. It's near to High Speed Silver, but I'm not 100% happy. If I were doing it again I might mix the aluminium with a little light grey. When finally dry I'm going to experiment with the Xtradecal sheet for the Dayglo markings.

Bluesteel

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Are the Dayglo areas going to be faded?
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Starting to put the Dayglo decals on. I found the protective film on the original Matchbox decals, for which I was going to use the roundels, had stuck to the sheet and damaged them beyond usability, so I've robbed the from one of my MPM Meteor T Mk 7 kits (as I'll be using different decal sheets with the T Mk &'s anyway).

Although I have used Micro Set and Sol, they don't like setting down very well on the model. I think I should have used Klear, but I thought that might satin up the finish too much.

As for Pauls question on weathering the Dayglo, from the photo I found on the internet (in the background) it appears that although the paintwork has faded to almost grey, the Dayglo is still almost pristine. It may be that it has been repainted at some stage, or even applied as sticky plastic (I've seen some Dayglo applied to the real thing as sticky back Dayglo plastic). So I may leave as is for the time being. It's actually darker and slightly more orange/red than it looks, but the camera flash has distorted the natural light colour.

Bluesteel

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hmm, dayglo! *drool*
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Interesting how Dayglo changes colour so drastically depending on the light, etc.

Good start on the decaling.
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Well the decals seem to have settled down a lot better overnight. So on with the rest together with some of the stencilling from the MPM sheet. One thing WS774 has that doesn't seem to be on the Meteor decal sheets I have is a large yellow arrow under the front part of the canopy pointing backwards. I'll have to rummage through my other spare decals to see if I can find anything similar. Also dry fitting the canopy prior to painting the frames, seems a good fit.

Bluesteel

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

That's a smart looking finish you have there.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

That is shaping up nicely. What a beastie.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

That's looking lovely, Julian.
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Nearly there. U/c and canopy on and outcome serials produced and applied, I even managed to custom print the little yellow arrows which was rather fiddly. I am thinking of doing a small grass dio base complete with chocks and fence:

Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Finished.

I used Tamiya flat aluminium to try to get the faded High Speed Silver, but it didn't work that well as the Ely Meteor is nearly satin grey. But it was a good test of the Xtradecal Dayglo decals which worked reasonably well, but they were just a little too thick to curve round the leading edges as the should. The home made under-wing serials weren't great either as they too were very thick and hard to get rid of the carrier film visibility. So I think I'm only 50% satisfied with this build. But at least I know what I need to do if I build it again :-D
Bluesteel

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Bluesteels NF14T ***FINISHED***

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice finish, Julian - I'd say it looks as if it's just gone on display - pre-fading.

First one done!
Paul

Return to “Gloster Meteor GB”