Sign-up and Chat

The Battle of Kursk, Operation Citadel. Any participating German or Russian aircraft, armor, figure, etc.
Runs July 5th to August 18th, the approximate dates of the main battle.
GBL: Chris
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Sign-up and Chat

Post by Chris »

Most excelent, can't have too many Tigers!
Honcho of ASMMF
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Gregers wrote:Oh flip. A trawl through the stash tomorrow will reveal something to attack. probably a wingy thingy. Ho well.
Cheers for the info Chris.

All the best.

Greg

edit. I may have a look for a vehicle to build for this when I'm at work on Wednesday, one of the perks of working in a warehouse full of models. I may get the earlier 251/1 by Armorfast.
Greg, Revell still kit the old 1/76 Matchbox Sdkfz. 251/1 Ausf.B at £5.99

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Chris wrote:
ShaunW wrote:Although I didn't commit to this when the GB was announced, I wouldn't mind a go. I am away for the last week but I'll try and build OOB to save time. Potential candidates include the old tool Tamiya Tiger I and the Italeri RSO tractor, both in 1/35th.
I would love to see both, especially that Tiger!
Tiger it is then boss, I was going to toss a coin as I don't have the time to build both, but you've helped make the decision quite painless :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chris

Post by Chris »

Tigers and Kursk go togther, if i didn't buy that panther I would have gone for a Tiger!
Honcho of ASMMF
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

lancfan wrote:
Gregers wrote:Oh flip. A trawl through the stash tomorrow will reveal something to attack. probably a wingy thingy. Ho well.
Cheers for the info Chris.

All the best.

Greg

edit. I may have a look for a vehicle to build for this when I'm at work on Wednesday, one of the perks of working in a warehouse full of models. I may get the earlier 251/1 by Armorfast.
Greg, Revell still kit the old 1/76 Matchbox Sdkfz. 251/1 Ausf.B at £5.99

David.
Hi David.
Cheers for the info. I will see what I can get my paws on. Unfortunately I've just missed the run to the wholesalers. I'll see if I can get to my LHS and see what they have though I can get hold of the Armorfast one and add detail from the Plastic soldier 251.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Gents,

I know zero about German or Ruski Tanks, so would the new Airfix 1/76 Tiger be the correct sort used at Kursk, or was it a later type? (I notice the turret is a different shape (porsche?))...

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I've got my paws on the previously mentioned Armorfast SDKfz 251/1 in 1/72. There are two in the box so two different cammo schemes coming up. Though I may do one not as a Kursk build but as a captured one in Russian markings or maybe Africa Corps, not sure yet.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Sir T wrote:Gents,

I know zero about German or Ruski Tanks, so would the new Airfix 1/76 Tiger be the correct sort used at Kursk, or was it a later type? (I notice the turret is a different shape (porsche?))...

edit. ok so no, its a mkII from 1944....

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sir T wrote:Gents,

Regards

Stuart
That would be a royal Tiger Stuart, about a year too soon for this, the germans unleashed it during the summer of 1944.

The older airfix Tiger would be ok, but would need a bit of work.
Honcho of ASMMF
Chris

Post by Chris »

Gregers wrote:I've got my paws on the previously mentioned Armorfast SDKfz 251/1 in 1/72. There are two in the box so two different cammo schemes coming up. Though I may do one not as a Kursk build but as a captured one in Russian markings or maybe Africa Corps, not sure yet.

All the best.

Greg
Glad to hear it Greg!

In this time period (Summer of 1943) it can still be dark gray, it could be dunkel gelb (german dark yellow) with or without green and or brown camo.
Honcho of ASMMF
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Chris wrote:In this time period (Summer of 1943) it can still be dark gray
Pretty unlikely, I would think. Panzer grey had been out of use for quite some time by Kursk, and as it was the first major offensive of the year, pretty much all the vehicles involved had been thoroughly overhauled and "freshened up".
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I've been thinking (dangerous I know) but I think doing two Kursk builds with differing cammo would be cool. So that's what I will do taking the above comments and help into consideration. Cheers guys.

All the best.

Greg.
Albert Einstein
Chris

Post by Chris »

Actually it would be very likely they would be dark gray, after the battering of Stalingrad and after the panzer waffe started to try and rebuild, piant stocks for vehicles were low priority especailly in non SS divisions.

In fact the most common camo at Kurst was Dark gray broken up by the new issue dunkel gelb.

Some fine references on this are available, such as the panzer colors series and SS armo, both from squadron signal publications.
Honcho of ASMMF
Chris

Post by Chris »

Gregers wrote:I've been thinking (dangerous I know) but I think doing two Kursk builds with differing cammo would be cool. So that's what I will do taking the above comments and help into consideration. Cheers guys.

All the best.

Greg.
Love to see that greg!

You could do one from the Nothern thrust (army group Center) and one from the south (army group south)
Honcho of ASMMF
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sounds like a plan. I am having to source decals though as these Armorfast kits don't come with any. They are easy builds aimed at the wargame market. I'm thinking maybe a gray one with a lot of weathering and a sand one with green and red/brown cammo. not sure yet. Still trawling the net for references.

Cheers and all the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein

Return to “Kursk, 70th Anniversary”