Lancfan's Soviet M3 Lee Tank.

The Battle of Kursk, Operation Citadel. Any participating German or Russian aircraft, armor, figure, etc.
Runs July 5th to August 18th, the approximate dates of the main battle.
GBL: Chris
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Lancfan's Soviet M3 Lee Tank.

Post by lancfan »

With the Churchill almost finished there is time to drop in one simple build, construction will begin following on from the Churchill and this second model should be finished by Monday.
The venerable Airfix Lee/Grant kit finished as a Soviet M3 Lee.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Re: Lancfan's Soviet M3 Lee Tank.

Post by ntrocket88 »

Ah...the 'Grave For Seven Brothers'...! Look forward to seeing this with Soviet markings.
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chris »

Another nice choice.
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Another classic from Airfix and I agree, another great choice of subject.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

ntrocket88 wrote:Ah...the 'Grave For Seven Brothers'...!
I haven't that term for it before. Did it have a reputation for being a poor vehicle?

Nigel
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Clashcityrocker wrote:
I haven't that term for it before. Did it have a reputation for being a poor vehicle?

Nigel
The M3 Lee tended to catch fire when hit and was apparently disliked by the Soviet crews, however I find this nick name odd as such names in reality would usually be somewhat shorter and to the point when uttered with feeling (EG. "coffin" or "Armoured Hearse") there seems to have been an orchestrated hatred of western equipment at this time and although the title may be the result of a poorly related translation "Grave for Seven Brothers" sounds more like the title of a musical than real service slang.

David.
David.

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Wikipedia agrees with the 'grave for seven brothers'.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ntrocket88
Active Participant

Post by ntrocket88 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:
The term is quoted in a number of references, including, as Ian noted, Wikipedia. It is sometimes translated as 'grave for seven (or all) comrades as well. The M3 was supposed to be very unpopular with Soviet crews due to it's excessive height, thin armor and unprotected ammunition storage (all of which were still problematic for most Sherman produced). Soviet crews also disliked the rubber tracks and general poor mobility of the M3, especially since the whole tank had to be maneuvered to fire the main gun. Although seen by everyone as a stopgap until the Sherman could be produced, I think it was initially popular with the British 8th Army because it was the first tank they got that could fire an effective high explosive shell against the German AT Guns that wreaked most of the havoc with British armor in the Western Desert, while still being able to engage enemy armor as well.

The Soviets initially got mostly sub-standard (compared to the T34) tanks via lend-lease like the Matilda II, Valentine and M3 Lee and were understandably not happy with them. However, the M4 Sherman that they got later were very popular, especially late production ones with 76mm guns. The US trucks supplied to the Soviet Union in large numbers were also very popular I believe.
Neil

'With every model I learn a little more...and then the next one takes longer!'
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Just imagine the reverse situation ... the Russians send a few shiploads of T-34s and/or KVs to the British to use in the Western Desert ... Rommel would have been a little distressed, one imagines! Even the early T-34s were a lot of hard work for Panzer IIIs to deal with. Therefore one can only imagine the disappointment that the Russians felt with the rubbish that was being sent to them. They used them, though, because they needed them! An M3 would be perfectly adequate if they were lucky enough to be pitted against some unsupported infantry, which is probably more than you can say for a Matilda or Valentine.

As flawed as American tank design was, they got it at least half-right: all of their tank designs were intended to mess with unsupported infantry, and in that role they were pretty good. German infantry hated the Sherman because of its speed and firepower, which made it very difficult for them to deal with if there were no friendly tanks around to scare them off and if they couldn't get close enough to use their Panzerfaust. I believe it's probably the primary reason why the British loved their lend-lease Shermans: they were effective in all the ways that British designs were not (at least until the Cromwell entered service).
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

As you say Bruce, a lot of the problems were due to the different tactics used by the various nations which did not always suit the different tanks used, and I consider the T-34 to be an incredible tank for its day and yes, it would have wreaked havoc in North Africa.

David.
David.

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

With the Churchill complete work began on the Lee last night, despite it age (released in 1969) this kit still falls together and is a delight to build. From the pictures I have found the Lees at Kursk appear to be late production long-barrelled tanks and one of the first jobs was to blank off the side doorways with plastic card.

With the hull complete the model begins to look like a M3 Lee.

This is how it appeared late this morning with the turret complete, the new gun in place and the lower hull painted in Olive drab.

More pictures on monday when the tank should be finished.

David.
David.

bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Interestingly enough, the Russians seem to like the Matilda calling it the tank for four heroes and the really liked the Valentine as a recce tank.

In the air they loved the P39 and hated the p47, which seems the wrong way round to me!
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Chris

Post by Chris »

Its falling together well.
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Another good looking build with some great additional detailing.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

bobblelink wrote:Interestingly enough, the Russians seem to like the Matilda calling it the tank for four heroes and the really liked the Valentine as a recce tank.
On the face of it that seems improbable. Neither were very fast vehicles, making them especially unsuitable for recce roles, for which the Russians had an abundant number of smaller, very fast vehicles that were mostly better-armed if not as well-armoured; and by the time the Russians were using them the 2-pounder was not particularly effective as an anti-tank weapon (and no use at all versus infantry). The 6-pounder was better, but not by a lot.

Still, it's not an area I've done a great deal of research in so am prepared to be corrected!

Getting back on topic, that Lee is looking scrumptious.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile

Return to “Kursk, 70th Anniversary”