Sign-Up and Chat

A Matchbox kit GB in tribute to Ted Taylor who passed away on July 29th.
GB runs from August 15th through September 30th.
GBL: Martin R, and others.

Please join us as we honor this fine gentleman, modeller, and icon of Classic British Kit history.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Sign-Up and Chat

Post by PaulBradley »

I bought some old modelling mags recently, and in Scale Models, March 1972 edition, there is a report on the Model Engineer Exhibition, where I found this:

Ted was a renowned modeller over 40 years ago...I was still building bagged Airfix kits without paint, I'm sure...
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

Hi Martin,

Did a weekend blitz on the Boeing and it's done! My posting is slower than the build... :roll:

Will post it up today! :grin:

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Asoka

Post by Asoka »

reinhold wrote:MiG-21 almost done! Final coat needs to dry before I dare touch it!
I thought the Mig was going to be 'nekkid'? :grin:
Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

This GB has really re-kindled my passion for Matchbox kits, I had forgotten how good they are and what a great selection of unusual subjects Matchbox had the foresight to produce.

I think it sums it up when I have actually enjoyed making the Matchbox Swordfish more than the new Airfix version, I know the airfix kit can be built spread or folded and is leaps and bounds ahead in the detail department but for pure simple building fun the Matchbox kit wins hands down and looks as much a Swordfish as any other make.

A lot of the bigger Matchbox kits came out when I was having a 20+ years break from cutting plastic so I never built the Victor or big bi-planes but this GB has made me re-think my options and possible search out some of the bigger kits.

So I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has entered this GB and shown me what a great kit manufacture Matchbox was and what a shame it was that we had to loose someone like Ted Taylor before I saw the light.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Well said Splash although you're making me come over all nostalgic now, pining for my lost youth :sad:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

splash wrote:This GB has really re-kindled my passion for Matchbox kits, I had forgotten how good they are and what a great selection of unusual subjects Matchbox had the foresight to produce.

I think it sums it up when I have actually enjoyed making the Matchbox Swordfish more than the new Airfix version, I know the airfix kit can be built spread or folded and is leaps and bounds ahead in the detail department but for pure simple building fun the Matchbox kit wins hands down and looks as much a Swordfish as any other make.

A lot of the bigger Matchbox kits came out when I was having a 20+ years break from cutting plastic so I never built the Victor or big bi-planes but this GB has made me re-think my options and possible search out some of the bigger kits.

So I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has entered this GB and shown me what a great kit manufacture Matchbox was and what a shame it was that we had to loose someone like Ted Taylor before I saw the light.

Regards Splash
I know what you mean, Splash. I do struggle with my inner JMN - as the Mossie build demonstrates - but bringing back the fun of modelling is what this GB is about.

Also, although I wholeheartedly support the Airfix retools with their increased detail and fidelity, I do wonder sometimes whether a 6 year old is actually going to be able to finish them. Heresy, perhaps, but is there a market niche to develop a simpler kit which, although dimensionally accurate, has perhaps reduced numbers of pieces and great fit to tempt the youngsters? If the shape is accurate, you might just get some of the grown-ups to have a go too. I know this is the Hobbyboss 1/72 niche but I actually find the fit of parts of their wing / fuselage junctions a bit of a struggle.

I may start a thread in Small Talk on this subject.

regards,

Martin
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,

Has anyone ever built the MB Tornado F.3? How is it? Is it better than the Airfix Kit

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Sir T wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone ever built the MB Tornado F.3? How is it? Is it better than the Airfix Kit

Regards

Stuart
Sorry, Stuart, haven't done that one.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, 3 days to go and 21 finished proudly displayed in the Completions thread - and there are still a few close to completion (ahem!).

I have seen a lot of enthusiasm amongst the participants, so will look favourably on extensions if anyone is not quite finished on the 30th and is also a complete masochist (I'm thinking of you here, John, with your Victor and Frightning shenanigans)

Hope everyone has been enjoying taking part as much as I have doing the GBLing.

regards,

Martin
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's been great Martin and thanks for leading this one. It's really great to see all these wonderful old Matchbox kits being built in Ted Taylor's honour.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
fredk

Post by fredk »

:beer: Its been fun Martin. A good excuse to get these great Matchbox kits out and built. But it aint over yit!
I saw that VickersVandal was going to attempt a Fury in the last days/hours, so I've just committed myself [in all the meanings of the word] to doing a Spitfire XVI.
I am clearly a total loony, as if I didn't have enough half finished models on my desk!
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

It's been fun taking part in this GB and some of the builds brought back fond memories from my youth. I've actually managed to finish two so far which is a novelty for me but I may need an extra day or two for the Bugatti.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
fredk

Post by fredk »

TimJ wrote:It's been fun taking part in this GB and some of the builds brought back fond memories from my youth. I've actually managed to finish two so far which is a novelty for me but I may need an extra day or two for the Bugatti.
They did tend to finish after the Aston Martins and Bentleys, :ha:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thanks, chaps.

Of course its the participants and the attitude they bring to a GB that makes it. There's been some really good encouraging going on - and I like all the last minute builds.

A thought I'll express and see what sort of reception it gets: I would be happy to do a few words writing up this GB for Paul Bradley's "Classic Plastic" feature in SAMI. If he likes this idea, I would provide him the words and then perhaps the participants could provide some pics for Paul to use to illustrate the feature.

I'm assuming that in the world of Classic Plastic, many people would recognise Ted's name and perhaps be interested to hear what we've been doing?

What do you think?

regards,

Martin
fredk

Post by fredk »

Go for it! [need a thumbs up icon] :bounce:

Return to “Ted Taylor Tribute Matchbox II GB”