Sign-Up and Chat

A Matchbox kit GB in tribute to Ted Taylor who passed away on July 29th.
GB runs from August 15th through September 30th.
GBL: Martin R, and others.

Please join us as we honor this fine gentleman, modeller, and icon of Classic British Kit history.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Sign-Up and Chat

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

This is a continuation of the original thread from GB Chat and other places.

Originally, this was the Matchbox II GB with few restrictions -- any subject released by Matchbox, or tooled by Matchbox and released by a third party -- and these still apply, although we would hope that builds could be tied to Mr Taylor where possible.

GB duration is now 15 August to 30 September.

Please sign-up, state your entries, ask questions, and don't forget to reminisce about Ted Taylor, whom this GB is dedicated to.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Sign-Up and Chat

Post by PaulBradley »

I never met Ted, but I feel I knew him through his many years of writing for Scale Models and other magazines in the Seventies and Eighties, and his participation in online forums over the past 10 years or so. He was a very accomplished modeler, and was happy to share his knowledge and skills with others, though he was a very modest chap. He was a great friend of Maurice Landi, whom we paid tribute to a few years ago.

Ted was best known for his truck models - it would be really cool if someone built one of the Matchbox trucks in tribute; I am not a truck modeler, but I shall be building two "air trucks" instead - the Norseman and Do-28D. I'm sure Ted would approve!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I'll be building an iconic aircraft - the Spitfire XVI low back.

And we should explain that we have swapped the time slots for the Busy Lizzie GB and the Matchbox GB. Lysanders will now be built in October! Unless, of course, you want to build a Matchbox Lizzie as part of this tribute GB instead.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Um - I'll also be building the Spitfire XVI kow back..... how the hell did that happen?

Would anyone have any objection to me finishing my Corsair II in that case? I'd only done some minor work. Um glued the wing together - needs filler, put the gears door on - needs filler and started to Mod the Cockpit. I'll be using aftermarket decals?

I didn't know Ted, but I'm more than happy to pay tribute to someone who obviously did lots for the hobby and was much loved by all.

edit: ah Ted Taylor as in 'Ted Taylors Modelworks' website? A great website and supurb builds with some great advice. Thats sad, he seemed a nice chap.

Let me know whats ok

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
theconfidencestoat
Active Participant

Post by theconfidencestoat »

Is any matchbox kit acceptable ?
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

I picked up the Matchbox Alpha Jet at Waddington a few weeks ago for this GB.
A sad time for modelling but a good opportunity for us to show our appreciation for a respected fellow modeller.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Flute »

Having finally sorted out me login, which has stopped me posting for a few months, and having gotten the modelling space set up again since moving from the Netherlands, and also having taken part in the original Matchbox group build, I'd be happy to contribute something to this one, in memory of Ted Taylor. Can't do trucks unfortunately, they just don't like me, and I've just finished a Siskin and a Fury, so I'm thinking at least of something large scale. How about a 1/32nd Tiger Moth?

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Good to see you around Paul.

Well, I have all the 1/32 scale stuff, two of the 1/48th and a few 1/72. Looking towards either the Chinook or the OH58D Kiowa Warrior. Saving the Puma for a rainy day.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

theconfidencestoat wrote:Is any matchbox kit acceptable ?
Yes.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Flute wrote:How about a 1/32nd Tiger Moth?

Paul.
Oh, yes! :grin:
Paul

Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Sir T wrote:Um - I'll also be building the Spitfire XVI kow back..... how the hell did that happen?

Would anyone have any objection to me finishing my Corsair II in that case? I'd only done some minor work. Um glued the wing together - needs filler, put the gears door on - needs filler and started to Mod the Cockpit. I'll be using aftermarket decals?

I didn't know Ted, but I'm more than happy to pay tribute to someone who obviously did lots for the hobby and was much loved by all.

edit: ah Ted Taylor as in 'Ted Taylors Modelworks' website? A great website and supurb builds with some great advice. Thats sad, he seemed a nice chap.

Let me know whats ok

Regards

Stuart
Stuart,

In general, we enforce a strict "not previously started" rule. However, if you build the Spit XVI low back as a priority for this GB, I'll make an exception this once and also allow your A-7.

regards,

Martin
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

I'm thinking about a Westland Lysander. :)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Martin R wrote:
In general, we enforce a strict "not previously started" rule. However, if you build the Spit XVI low back as a priority for this GB, I'll make an exception this once and also allow your A-7.

regards,

Martin
In the light of that one, try this then. I have TWO part started 1/32 original Matchbox SA.330 Aerospaciale Pumas which were actually started for the original Maurice Landi/Matchbox GB over 5 years ago. Not much got done as I actually finished four other kits first for the Matchbox Maurice Landi Tribute book first! Once completed and published, it was Ted who handed a copy of our tribute book to Mr Landi's relatives on our behalf.

Kit wise - a little bit has been done in the cockpits and some priming done (which will need doing again). The production of this kit in particular received input from Ted and obviously also from Maurice Landi. In the preface of the book, written by Ted, there is a picture of Maurice with a 1:1 scale PUMA and pilot having just handed a completed RAF version model to him.
I would very much like to complete both, one as the RAF machine, and one as the Blue/white demonstrator aircraft for which Matchbox supplied decals in the original kit as a tribute to Ted in this GB.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Sign me up I have a SeaFox I would like to build.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

beany wrote:
In the light of that one, try this then. I have TWO part started 1/32 original Matchbox SA.330 Aerospaciale Pumas which were actually started for the original Maurice Landi/Matchbox GB over 5 years ago. Not much got done as I actually finished four other kits first for the Matchbox Maurice Landi Tribute book first! Once completed and published, it was Ted who handed a copy of our tribute book to Mr Landi's relatives on our behalf.

Kit wise - a little bit has been done in the cockpits and some priming done (which will need doing again). The production of this kit in particular received input from Ted and obviously also from Maurice Landi. In the preface of the book, written by Ted, there is a picture of Maurice with a 1:1 scale PUMA and pilot having just handed a completed RAF version model to him.
I would very much like to complete both, one as the RAF machine, and one as the Blue/white demonstrator aircraft for which Matchbox supplied decals in the original kit as a tribute to Ted in this GB.

Cheers
Al.
OK Al, that anecdote means your Pumas are "in"

regards,

Martin

Return to “Ted Taylor Tribute Matchbox II GB”