Martin's Build #1 - Mossie *** Finished ***

A Matchbox kit GB in tribute to Ted Taylor who passed away on July 29th.
GB runs from August 15th through September 30th.
GBL: Martin R, and others.

Please join us as we honor this fine gentleman, modeller, and icon of Classic British Kit history.
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Martin's Build #1 - Mossie *** Finished ***

Post by Martin R »

OK, we'll see whether I get to Build #2, but for Build #1 I think I'm going to have a go at a Mossie bomber with two-stage engines. I believe that somewhere I have an Airfix 'stash queen' Mossie, from which I plan to use assorted bits (prop blades, undercarriage, etc.)

This should be interesting . . .

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Re: Martin's Build #1 - Mossie

Post by Martin R »

Obligatory pre-start pics.

Old school Matchbox boxart. Cool!

In-box colour schemes. I appear to have lost the decals - but that's no problem as I wasn't planning to use them anyway:

3-colour sprues:

Instruction sheet:

As I said, I'm going to use some pieces from an Airfix Mossie to 'improve' things a bit. I've also got a small amount of AM ordered. That lot, together with some scratch building should make for an interesting build. Pics when I've got things to hand.

regards,

Martin
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Post by aeroplanegripper »

Looking forward to this one Martin, my next build is going to be the Frog B IV, so ill watch your progress with interest.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

Have fun , looking forward to seeing it!
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
I love the smell of avgas in the morning!
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I couldn't remember for sure if I'd built that one in the past, but then saw your photo of the 3 coloured plastic... oh yes, now I remember it!
Looking forward to your build, especially with the A/M stuff!

cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

OH how I wish they were still being made, I thought they were a great idia, it got people building,especialy kids because they could build them with out painting if they didn't want to, the different colours were often enough for children. DAMM IT WHAT IM SAYING IS "I WANT ONE", :frown: :sad: :cry: .
I really am looking forward to seeing it.
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
I love the smell of avgas in the morning!
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Thanks for your comments, gents. I hope I can do your expectations justice! :shock:

regards,

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

ronbow wrote:OH how I wish they were still being made, I thought they were a great idia, it got people building,especialy kids because they could build them with out painting if they didn't want to, the different colours were often enough for children. DAMM IT WHAT IM SAYING IS "I WANT ONE", :frown: :sad: :cry: .
I really am looking forward to seeing it.
There are plenty out there on eBay, but don't pay silly prices!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hee hee hee!

I just had a discreet parcel from Hannants arrive at work, to fox my wife's modelling purchase radar. I am now the proud possessor of another set of Airwaves wheels, which may help the look of the finished Mossie (they certainly added something to my Airfix Mossie build!). Unfortunately, to reach the Hannants minimum order threshold, I needed to also buy some Quickboost undercarriage doors. Life is hell.

So, having retrieved my Airfix 'stash queen' for bits, I'm almost ready to go. Although I'll have to see if I can also find my Falcon vacform canopy set, which may provide a replacement to the bomb aimer's dome.

I'll post some photos of the AM when I get a moment.

regards,

Martin
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Nice score, my Harrier is also coming via that anti-purchase detection route...

You'd better hope that she doesn't read this thread.

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, having rummaged in the stash last night looking for some vacform canopies (specifically for the nav / bomb aimer's cupola) I eventually found same in the box of an old Airfix Halifax. Cupola is sorted, but the canopy is for a B or PR MkXVI. So that's set me thinking. My choices appear to be:

- B Mk IX (unpressurised bomber - kit canopy)
- B Mk XVI (pressurised bomber - vac canopy)
- PR Mk IX (unpressurised PR variant - kit canopy)
- PR Mk XVI (pressurised PR variant - vac canopy)

Decisions, decisions! I was going to do a B Mk IX from 105 Sqn (not the kit choice, but same squadron and scheme - but . . . PRU blue and invasion stripes?). Must consult my references and see if I can find a cool profile . . .

regards,

Martin
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Martin R wrote:So, having rummaged in the stash last night looking for some vacform canopies (specifically for the nav / bomb aimer's cupola) I eventually found same in the box of an old Airfix Halifax. Cupola is sorted, but the canopy is for a B or PR MkXVI. So that's set me thinking. My choices appear to be:

- B Mk IX (unpressurised bomber - kit canopy)
- B Mk XVI (pressurised bomber - vac canopy)
- PR Mk IX (unpressurised PR variant - kit canopy)
- PR Mk XVI (pressurised PR variant - vac canopy)

Decisions, decisions! I was going to do a B Mk IX from 105 Sqn (not the kit choice, but same squadron and scheme - but . . . PRU blue and invasion stripes?). Must consult my references and see if I can find a cool profile . . .

regards,

Martin
OK, a quick look at my references removes the B Mk XVI as a choice (most had a bulged bomb bay, which I am too lazy to scratch build) and the PR Mk IX (not enough interesting choices). So, night bomber, PRU blue / invasion stripes or silver with SEAC markings it is then . . . .

regards,

Martin
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Either colour scheme sounds quite striking Martin :)
Up in the Great White North
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Blue with stripes should look stunning.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Paul,

Maybe - but I've got a whole lot of work to do before I get to the colour scheme!

I started the build this evening (other things to do last night) and have just been pluttering around trying to understand what I've got to do and how I might go about doing it. I said I'd show some pics of the AM I was using. Here are the Airwaves wheels:

I also said I'd be robbing bits from an Airfix Mossie 'stash queen'. I hadn't realised I'd started this back in the mists of time. No matter: I won't be using any of the stuff I'd done previously. Here's a comparison of the Matchbox wing pieces with their Airfix equivalent. Spot anything missing from the underside of the M'box wings? Yep, that's right: the landing lights. i'll have to drill that out on each wing underside. Also the bulge at the wing root is not represented on the M'box kit. That'll have to be added. Finally, there's no attempt to represent the radiator matrix in the inboard leading edge of the wing. I'll try to remedy that, too.

The M'box fuselage has separate nose pieces to deal with the different bomber and night fighter nose (and windscreen) shapes. I glued the nose pieces onto their respective sides and taped them together so they dry in the right orientation. You may be able to spot where the massively overthick fuselage strengthening strake was: just beneath the wing, from in front of the wing trailing edge to aft of (and above) the access hatch. According to Richard Franks in the Mosquito Modellers' Datafile, this is too long and too thick, so it's gone. I'll replace it with styrene strip in due course.

Finally for tonight, a view from the front. I have got rid of the raised flange running around the front opening, but I still have to thin down the lip.

I've got a feeling that this one may be a bit of a fight . . . tomorrow, I hope to get the undercarriage legs together and have a bit of a play with the cockpit interior.

regards,

Martin

Return to “Ted Taylor Tribute Matchbox II GB”