Flute's Tiger Moth. Completed.

A Matchbox kit GB in tribute to Ted Taylor who passed away on July 29th.
GB runs from August 15th through September 30th.
GBL: Martin R, and others.

Please join us as we honor this fine gentleman, modeller, and icon of Classic British Kit history.
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Flute's Tiger Moth

Post by Flute »

Transfers on, painting completed except the lower wing walkways and a topcoat of matt varnish, and tailplane, fin and engine cowlings installed.

The Revell decals were a pig to use. Very brittle, totally unresponsive to setting solutions, and out of register. They all silvered dreadfully, even on 2 brushed coats of Klear (well cured), using the Micro Sol & Set system. And they still has an Aero like carpet of larger trapped air bubbles. Much trimming and tidying up, puncturing with a scalpel, and flooding with Daco's rather aggressive setting solution, smoothing with cotton buds then poking Klear underneath and on top has limited the damage as best I could. Not fun. Looks acceptable if not stellar. At least the colour density was okay. I've had the same problem with 3 other Revell kits bought around the same time, about 10 years ago.

The Plan is to get the centre section N struts on and lined up, then spray everything with matt varnish. I'll then glue in the fuselage ends of the rigging, and paint up and install the windscreens and venturi tubes. After checking I've drilled all the holes I need I can then glue the top wing on, complete the centre rigging and the fuel line. Then I can put the lower wings on, adjust their dihedral, and trim the interplane struts if needed. Rigging followed by pitot, prop, undercarriage and a wee bit of weathering should complete the job, and I hope before the deadline.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
Titan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Titan »

Well that is just looking great so far Paul, sound like you have it all under control and should have it easily completed before the deadline.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark

Post by ShaunW »

Those decals sound like they were a proper pain Paul, but the model looks great from here and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it built up.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

ShaunW wrote:Those decals sound like they were a proper pain Paul, but the model looks great from here and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it built up.

All encouragement is gratefully welcomed.

I'd hoped to have a photo of everything ready to go before adding the top wing, but althought the work is done, my daughter has walked off with the camera. Well, to be fair, it is her camera......... She won't be back until late this evening, and then we have visitors, and since I've got a very good friend visiting for a few days from Wednesday I'm afraid I'll have to crack on to make the deadline.

Anyway, to set the scene, what's changed since last time is that most of the little irritating parts are on and the centre section is rigged. Everything is matt-coated and nice and dry. The fin and rudder are on, as are the rudder control cables at the rudder bar end. I'm about to add the top wing with tube glue, then it will need to set up until tomorrow after I've made sure the alignment is right. There are 2 fiddly bits to do then before the lower wings can go on - there's a fuel pipe to descend from the centre tank, around the front port centre strut and into the fuselage at the top cowl. Then there's the fuel blast linkage arm, the lower half of which hinges at the middle port centre strut, so I've already added the bit from the fuselage to that.

Hopefully a photo tomorrow night.

Paul.
Kitboy
starter kit

Post by Kitboy »

And here's the good friend, who will bring along a fine camera (and hagelslag, stoopwafels and a kettingpons)

Cheers, Nico
Flute

Post by Flute »

Kitboy wrote:And here's the good friend, who will bring along a fine camera (and hagelslag, stroopwafels and a kettingpons)

Cheers, Nico
Just to make all crystal clear, Nico is Bicycle Repair Man. Hence the kettingpons.

And now, back to our regular programs............

Paul.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Does anyone have any idea what Nico is talking about?????
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ian wrote:Does anyone have any idea what Nico is talking about?????
I haven't got the foggiest. Hagelslag, stroopwafels and kettingpons all sound like something out of the lyrics of an early Genesis or Pink Floyd album. Or out of one of those books about Middle Earth, elves and that sort of thing. But they are apparently something to do with bicycles. Perhaps.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

First a lot of baseball jargon in another thread and now this. What is happening here? :lol:

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Clashcityrocker wrote:First a lot of baseball jargon in another thread and now this. What is happening here? :lol:

Nigel
Blame the bloke with the flute. He started it and got us all confused :ha:

IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

It's all Dutch to me. Well, it's all Dutch, really. Anyway, borrowed the camera last night and here, as advertised, is the state of play:

The camera is off on it's holidays again today, so no more until tomorrow, but by then I hope I'll have the lower wings on - they've been test fitted and I don't think there should be any problem. Oh, I painted the prop, but that's not worth it's own photo.

Paul.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one Paul and I look forward to seeing it with the lower wings on. Great looking bipe is the Tiggie.

IPMS#12300
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Smart work, Paul.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

hagelslag & stroopwafels :drool2:

I have had the pleasure of working with the Dutch armed forces and can confirm hagelslag & stroopwafels are tasty.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Kitboy
starter kit

Post by Kitboy »

I'd say: also try a kettingpons.

Anyway to stay on topic: never saw you start with the topwings before the lower wings Paul. Any special reason for this?

Cheers, Nico

Return to “Ted Taylor Tribute Matchbox II GB”