Sissel builds a Norwegian ** Finished **

A single-type GB for the famous North American T-6 Texan, SNJ, Harvard trainer in any guise, markings, or scale.
Runs 1-30 September and your GBLs are Gregers & Prisca.
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Re: Sissel builds a Norwegian

Post by Sissel »

Prior to building I'd like to share a bit of history.

The British Air Force RAF purchased a large number of Harvards during the war, they were used for advanced training before becoming fighters. Norwegian pilots participated in these courses for the basic education in "Little Norway" in Canada.

Air Force Flying School in England was put down in November 1945 and 33 T-6 Harvards were flown to Norway. Additional 16 Harvards was purchased from Canada and the United States in the period 1946-1949. The aircraft was allocated to flight school and field flying, some were assigned scheduled flight squadrons, others to some station flights.

During 1955-1956, the remaining Norwegian 26 Harvards were gratuitously handed over to Turkey.

Norwegian defence museum managed in 1983 to swap deal a Harvard from Luftwaffemuseum in Germany. After an extensive restoration carried out by the Gardermoen Air Station and the Air Force Materiel Command's, a Harvard II SN 52-8570 is now on display at the Norwegian Aviation Museum.

That's the one in the pic a few posts up.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

Nice one ! I look forward to seeing it. Have a nice holiday.
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Having a really bad day (week infact) I thought I should finally get me butt to the bench. It helps keep me concentrated on this and hopefully forget the other stuff for a while. Might be a long evening, might even stay up the entire night if I can. Really need a diversion now!
So cleaned the bench for the other four models and out with this.

All is ready, food, snacks and beer.
Just one thing. I never opened the box till today, so obviously I need to figure out the paint conversions first. Doh.. :oops:

Model is 'hidden' behind the good stuff..

Oh and I will also be building an Academy Storch alongside this, for the simple reason it will be a trainer in the same colors. It might sneak in the photoframe when photographing progress of the Texan, but I hope you guys can live with that.

Hmmm... why do I get blitzbau feeling here?

Music, we need music!

This one is appropriate now, as it's exactly what I wanna do.. :lol:
*John Lennon had a cold this day, and this was the last song of the recording session, entire album in one day, his voice was done but he gave what he had left*

Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

They look so much younger in black and white, don't they?
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Sure beats the 70s hairstyle. And glasses. :shock:

A quick update. Painted bits of the interior. Glued wings together.
I know the green might be a bit eh.. heavy/sharp. I should've mixed or use the one I usually do for interior green. But as the plane will be in strong colors, I wasn't that fussed with it. It will seem darker through the canopy anyway.

Took out some of my Avantasia cd's and have to share this song.

Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Hi Prisca, I'm looking forward to this, I like the Norwegian colours (your Oxford looked really nice). The cockpit of the Academy kits looks to be more detailed than my Airfix kit. I also like Avantasia song!

Two girls on a GB, how cool is that?
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Yes, the cockpit is quite good. So is the fit of the kit.

Got the fuselage together inbetween watching a tv-program. No problems at all, like others building this have stated. Actually quite delightful. :grin:
I need to go over the interior and touch up several places. This kit is a pleasure.

Then I put the wings on. Snapped them on first, some aligning with 'magic' touch and you'd think no glue was needed. But that wont last so I went over with Tamiya liquid cement.

I need power... :-D

Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Today was a planned shopping trip day. But it's raining so it's been cancelled. Might as well chill at home and do some building.

I thought it was best to print out some photos, to save me the trouble of running up and down between 1st and 3rd story.

I've painted the engine. Painted it steel, the middle bluegrey, then went over with a black wash. It's still drying.

Also primed the surfaces that will be yellow. Did the same on the Storch, to then paint them simultaneously.

Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Gave the underside first layer of yellow. As you can see the biscuits are unopened and the Texan also have had a bit blue splashed on. This was just to see how I liked the color, and it looks like a great match.

Also painted the canopy frames, freehand as usual. Doing this today was a big mistake, one beer beforehand not enough, should've had cognac. Shaky hands resulted in a mess and tomorrow I will need to either scrape it all off, or go over with a toothpick and try to fix it.
I'm super stressed and afraid to mess (rush) things up, so no more modelling today.

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Coming along nicely, Sissel.

What is Fir Klover? Can't tell from the packaging. Are hazelnuts involved?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Thank you, Paul. :)

Firkløver is a chocolate from the delicious factory of Freia. You can buy it as a plate or roll. It's lovely milk chocolate with chopped and roasted hazelnuts. Mmmmm! Ate it up quickly yesterday though. :sad:

And after checking photos more closely, I look to be spot on with the green color as well. :grin:
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Post by aeroplanegripper »

I enjoyed building this Harvard Sissel, its a real joy to put together, though it took me a lot longer, yours is looking real good, looking forward to seeing that great colour scheme. Well done.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
giulio_gobbi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by giulio_gobbi »

Prisca wrote:
..... I've painted the engine. Painted it steel, the middle bluegrey, then went over with a black wash. It's still drying.

With the radial engines, I do the exact opposite of what you do: paint all in black, then drybrush with silver! :)
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Coming along very nicely.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Came for the Harvard, stayed for the metal....

Return to “N.A. T-6 Texan / SNJ / Harvard GB”