Miss-Stang's Airfix 1/72 Texan/Harvard *FINISHED*

A single-type GB for the famous North American T-6 Texan, SNJ, Harvard trainer in any guise, markings, or scale.
Runs 1-30 September and your GBLs are Gregers & Prisca.
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Miss-Stang's Airfix 1/72 Texan/Harvard *FINISHED*

Post by Miss-Stang »

Hi guys,

So here we go, my first Group Build! :shock: Bit nervous! The pressure is on! Don't want to be a DNF.

Had a good clean up of the workbench before I started, and this is what I will be tackling, the Airfix 1/72 North American T-6G Texan/Harvard.

First impression upon opening the box is that this is not an Airfix kit! I believe it's a Heller tool. No pilot figures gives it away, aaargh! I like pilots in my planes, it adds a sense of realism for me. So job No. 1 was to rummage in the spares box for two dudes. Got them now, I had to slim them down a bit around the hips to get them to slip into the bucket seats, next job is to paint them.

The choice of colour schemes in the box is quite varied, South African, Swedish or Austrian. Not keen on the Austrian because it's all yellow and I recently did a Norseman like that, so it's down to South African of Swedish. I am leaning towards the South African as it's colourful (but looks like a masking nightmare! I don't like masking...... :???: ). Also, the box art is wrong, the big numbers on the side should be in a yellow box not an orange one, fortunately the decals inside are correct though.

More later guys!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Miss-Stang's Airfix 1/72 Texan/Harvard

Post by TobyC »

I've got some spare pilots if you want them. Unlike you I don't like them in my models.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Thanks Toby, but I've found some and I am currently adjusting their physique so they fit!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Miss-Stang wrote:Thanks Toby, but I've found some and I am currently adjusting their physique so they fit!
Cutting their arms, legs and heads off tends to reduce the realism unless of course you are a rabid jelly baby eater ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Hey, glad to see you join in.
Can't wait to follow your work on this. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in updates, Real Life got in the way :roll:

Cockpit interior has been assembled and sprayed interior green along with the inside of the fuselage halves.

The kit didn't come with pilot figures :sad: , and I like pilot figures, but I managed to find a couple of dudes in the spares box :grin: (origins unknown) but they needed a bit of surgery on the hips to slim them down so they'd slot comfortably into the bucket seats. They were painted up and dropped in along with the control stick thingies and now I'm happy with the interior.

Next job is to put the instrument panels in the fuselage half and then I can close it up. More later guys!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

IPs put in and all closed up! Waiting for glue to dry then I'll work on the joins. Fuselage halves seemed a bit warped, it needed a lot of clamps and tape to hold it all in place. :shock:

Now to set to work on the engine and cowling assembly. More soon!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Looking good, I need to get me some of those clamps as well.
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Hi Saxon, The black and orange clamps are available in the large, small or long-reach, but they are a bit vicious and sometimes grip too hard, but the yellow and black ones are great, you can slowly tighten them up just enough to suit, very nice, and the jaws are soft too. I got them all from Mr. Models at one of the shows. He takes his shop everywhere (you'll see him at a lot of air shows too).
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Before the next stage of my first GB, I decided some refreshment was in order. Vodka, bitter lemon and cranberry juice, mmmmm.

Back to the model soon!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

I then put the wings together, every thing went smoothly here, no concerns.

I sanded the fuselage joins then brush-primed them with some grey to see how the looked, not too bad so far

Thanks for following everyone, more soon!
Regards,

Miss-Stang
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

That's coming along well.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:9 B:4 C:15
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Coming along nicely there.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That is coming together very well. It looks like you got a good moulding there & I think you are correct about the pilots, they will certainly add to the overall look. Top build so far.

Have you decided on a scheme yet? I am dreading the masking on my SAAF plane but I need to do it as part of my SA collection.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Old_Tonto wrote:That is coming together very well. It looks like you got a good moulding there & I think you are correct about the pilots, they will certainly add to the overall look. Top build so far.

Have you decided on a scheme yet? I am dreading the masking on my SAAF plane but I need to do it as part of my SA collection.
Thanks for the encouragement OT. I have decided to do the colourful South African scheme, despite the headache-inducing amount of masking required! The decals look very good too.
Regards,

Miss-Stang

Return to “N.A. T-6 Texan / SNJ / Harvard GB”