Greg's SNJ build.

A single-type GB for the famous North American T-6 Texan, SNJ, Harvard trainer in any guise, markings, or scale.
Runs 1-30 September and your GBLs are Gregers & Prisca.
Gregers
Forum founder

Greg's SNJ build.

Post by Gregers »

I have dug out a couple of T6's from the stash and I chose one because no one else has this kit in the bu7ild so I thought the comparison would be useful. It's the old Testors SNJ and I must say it's a dog of Rottwieler proportions. Basic to say the least and the only redeeming feature is the decal sheet with it's two options, one of which is rather colourful. I will be using the decals on a Hobbyboss T6 and I am not sure what markings I will use on the Testors one. Maybe a 'what if'. If I can find it I have a second Hobbyboss T6 in the stash and I may do both options from the Testors kit with them.

Box shot.

Sprue shot.
I didn't bother photographing the HB kit sprues as they have been seen in other builds.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Greg's SNJ build.

Post by Saxon »

The Testors kit looks rather basic, I hope the fit is at least ok. Good luck with your build.

I am doing the HB one which is pretty good overall.
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

I built the testors kit a couple of years ago for my son. The fit wasn't too bad. The biggest drawback with the kit was all the recessed lines, with even the star and bars insignia engraved in the wings and fuselage.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

So glad you could join us Greg!

A comparison is always useful and a 'what-if' might be fun :)

Good luck with your build,
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Not many bits, are there? Good luck with this Greg. :)
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers Saxon, Tony, Miss stang and Sissel.
I only have these two to work with at the mo (though I have Airfix Heller and Academy ones in the stash but can't find them). I had ordered some more Academy ones but the supplier hasn't sent them yet. That can be the problem if you order through trade. With luck they will come through soon enough.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sorry folks. I've been out of the game for a few days. Sarah has been quite ill these past few days and looking after her and the house and work takes priority over models. I have progressed however on the builds and here are a couple of pics but unfortunately only two. The rest were unusable once they made the monitor screen (too blurred)

Start time. My T6's have been breeding, There are three now :-)

Four hours later.

I am doing the two HB kits in the marking options in the Testors kit. One all silver and the other silver yellow and red, both USN. The Testors I am not sure about yet but I have filled the scribed national insignia. I am thinking of a what if, maybe a look alike from the film 'Tora Tora Tora' It'd look cool in Japanese markings and a small bomb slung underneath. And maybe a rear gun. What do you folks think?

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Greg, so sorry to hear that Sarah has been ill and do hope that she will get well soon.

Looks like progress is good considering the 'real life' problems getting in the way!
I like the sound of your two HB kits in the Testors markings. But I really like the sound of the 'what if' scheme in Jap markings and a bomb underneath, I think it'd be fun :grin:

Good luck with the yellow paint, seems the rest of us find it a real PITA (whichever brand/type we use ) and looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with your Testors kit ;-)
Regards,

Miss-Stang
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Off to a quick and good start, Greg.
Imagine the little buggers breeding in the middle of a GB, how rude is that. :ha:

The only thing breeding in my space is Splatfires Spitfires. :roll:

Sorry to hear Sarah's ill. Hope she gets on her feet soon.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Folks.
Sorry I have been scarce. Sarah is not very well and I have been doing the housework and going to work too and that has taken up just about all my time but tonight Sarah is at her Mum's giving me a break (Once the housework is done) and I will be attacking my T6 builds very soon, hopefully in the next hour. I am going to have to go all blitz on them though to get as much done as possible tonight. First though is a fish and chip supper and getting little Greg to bed.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Right ho folks. Rushing in just under the wire is a USN SNJ. The hobbyboss kits have been built on here a number of times and I found to surprises during the builds. The Yellow and Silver one I have finished, the all Silver one I didn't, knocking water over the decals didn't help there but I wouldn't have got it done in time tonight due to external factors (friends calling round etc) The Testors one is a good exercise is fill sand repeat as far as the engraved national markings go but it has not been too bad so far. A dry fit of the canopy shows it is a reasonable but not perfect fit, The wing fuselage join needs a good sand but little filler, The interior is 50's Airfix standard ie, two benches and two god awful pilot figures. I have some pics and I'll get them up as soon as I have sorted out my camera. Little Greg dropped it and for some reason the computer won't recognise it's format now.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Gregers wrote:Little Greg dropped it and for some reason the computer won't recognise it's format now.
Hopefully, he didn't drop it in his Lego bucket...
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Sissel

Post by Sissel »

Sorry Greg, you do seem to have real life fighting you here.
I bet little Greg looked his most innocent and blamed it on the cat? :-D
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

He missed the bucket this time, Fortunately he didn't when he used it as a potty :grin: I walked into the room and he spun round and dropped it. I didn't have the heart to tell him off I just said not to touch it again. I've found a replacement on e-bay that I am hoping to get fairly cheap. That way I can get the pics online from the SD card.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Pics added to the gallery. One finish and two d,n,f's for me this time. With luck I will get a bit more building time soon but real life sort of got in the way and plastic had to take a back seat.

Please ignore the smudged paint on the leading edge of the port wing, I had to touch up the decal where it split and in a rush to get the model done I didn't notice until I saw the pics on here that I had put my fingers in it.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein

Return to “N.A. T-6 Texan / SNJ / Harvard GB”