Fred's MiG 19

Covering the Vietnam War from March 65 until March 73, any kit, any scale, any subject, any country.
Runs 1-31 October.
Your host & GBL is ShaunW.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Fred's MiG 19

Post by fredk »

A nice MiG 19 from KP;

That sprue in the middle has a multitudinous of parts for the bumps around the MiG airframe!

Decals with this kit are just Russian and Czech, so I'll have to print up some North Vietnamese markings. I've been looking at 'Wings Palette' for ideas on this one.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Fred's MiG 19

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, another great choice, nice to see something from the other side as it were. That looks to be a nice simple kit Fred. I like these old Cold War Soviet jets. Remind me to dig out my Tamiya MiG-15 at some point :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chris

Post by Chris »

Nice choice.
Honcho of ASMMF
fredk

Post by fredk »

Slight change of plan; Hannants have a sheet of North Vietnamese national markings, which includes some for MiG 19, so I'll buy these rather than print my own. The quality will be better, and I prefer to print as a last resort sort of thing.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've built one of these before. It's a bit soft on detail, particularly the cockpit, and a little fiddly with all those intake ducts to glue on, but, with a pilot in place and some careful fettling and finishing it does make a very decent model. This is definitely one of KPs better offerings.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the NVAF markings too. It's nice to see another "Charlie" aircraft to balance things out a bit :) .
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

This is great to see Fred.
I did this kit for the last Nam group build.

2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Funny how we still don't have too many Mig 19's by some of the major players. Looking forward to seeing this done.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Thats one cracker job on your MiG Old_Tonto. I hope I can do mine as good.

I've put this in my F5A build;
Sorry; not made a start on this yet. I've been caught up writing 5 special ghost stories and learning them for some perfomances tonight and over the next week. I hope to get started and finished over the few days from Staurday evening.
Saxon wrote:Funny how we still don't have too many Mig 19's by some of the major players.
The Mig 17 & 19 and the early Sukhois are badly under-represented in my opinion.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

fredk wrote: I've put this in my F5A build;
Sorry; not made a start on this yet. I've been caught up writing 5 special ghost stories and learning them for some perfomances tonight and over the next week. I hope to get started and finished over the few days from Staurday evening.

The Mig 17 & 19 and the early Sukhois are badly under-represented in my opinion.
No worries Fred, hopefully you will be able to catch up with these builds. I agree, these aircraft are poorly represented and personally I'd like to see a nice 1/48th scale MiG 17 and/or 19. So, you are an author and thespian eh? sounds intriguing :grin:

IPMS#12300
fredk

Post by fredk »

yeah, an auffer wont cant spell 'Saturday'
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

fredk wrote:yeah, an auffer wont cant spell 'Saturday'
I noticed the typo but I'm too much of a gentleman to draw attention to it :ha:

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fredk wrote:Thats one cracker job on your MiG Old_Tonto. I hope I can do mine as good.

I've put this in my F5A build;
Saxon wrote:Funny how we still don't have too many Mig 19's by some of the major players.
As some of you may know, I have a bit of an interest in Mig aircraft. The -17 isn't too badly represented in 72nd, 48th and even 32nd scales but the -19 is quite widely ignored. It's quite a big gap (IMHO) in the model market considering that over 2,100 were built, excluding the Chinese versions and they were used by 2 dozen operators worldwide. In fact the only 1/72nd scale kit that I'm aware of is the KP offering.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Vietnam II GB”