Saxon's B-57G ***COMPLETED***

Covering the Vietnam War from March 65 until March 73, any kit, any scale, any subject, any country.
Runs 1-31 October.
Your host & GBL is ShaunW.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Saxon's B-57G

Post by Saxon »

Thanks guys, I actually hardened the camo lines as the Medium green didn't stand out against the darker green and it all just looked the same. I will give it a wash as well like I did with my F-105D to dirty it up a little.

Here is where I am currently at, there is a little bit of black on the forward fuselage near the nose, I kind of like it as it looks like weathering of some sort so might leave it that way.

Also have to reattach some of the annoying little parts that have fallen off.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nice Saxon. I rather like your desk top model approach with the smoked out canopies, although in 1/72 or above I like to incorporate some cockpit detail etc. For military aircraft in 1/144th scale I would probably use the same approach, as I automatically do with airliner models. Good stuff, keep at it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks Shaun, when I do 1/48 I include cockpits. Just a personal taste thing but I really like the blacked canopy look, it seems cleaner in some ways and even when I was doing cockpits I never went to much trouble with them anyway.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Nice work on the B-57 the colours work well, I just tried to paint my Jolly Green Giant the same but found it hard to get a good demarcation between the two greens.

What colours did you use?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks Splash, yeah it is a difficult scheme to free hand due to the greens being similar. I used Mr Hobby H303 (FS 34102), H309 (FS 34079) and H310 (FS 30219) I have had better luck free handing this scheme in the past but this time the Medium Green was virtually indistinguishable from the Darker Green.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm going to have a go at a freehand scheme on the F-4 using Humbrol shades or failing that out will come the blu-tak sausages! So we'll see how the Humbol greens shape up, or rather you lot will as I won't be able to tell 'em apart at the best of times :roll:

IPMS#12300
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Very nice, Saxon! I have never experimented with the desktop look blacked out canopy. I may have to try that on something in the near future!

regards,

Martin
thomastmcc
Getting well comfy!

Post by thomastmcc »

very cool mate..

thomas
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TOandEs/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks guys, I would recommend the blacked out canopy Martin, especially on a subject with a simple cockpit that you don't want to super detail.
Chris

Post by Chris »

SEAC camo always blends the greens, in real life the difference is obvious, the camera however makes the greens blend.
Honcho of ASMMF
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks Chris, yes I did notice that a lot on real life pics of SEA aircraft, but you could still just make out the difference in green tones whereas mine looked exactly the same without the harsher demarcation. Anyway finished it now, I changed the bombload to x4 Mk 117 bombs as the kit bombs look very WW2 and from what I have read weren't carried by the B-57G anyway.

I also added a wash which has brought out the panel lines and dirtied it up a little.

Also I think this build/kit now has the record for most parts which broke off during the building and painting process, I am still amazed I didn't snap off the aerial on the nose. I lost a few antennae which I had to replace with scratch built ones as well.

Chris

Re: Saxon's B-57G ***COMPLETED***

Post by Chris »

Man, that ispretty.
Honcho of ASMMF
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Thanks Chris!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh Saxon my man, that looks great, the smoked canopy really suits this one too. Well done on finishing.

IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Excellent result. It looks ready to have a pop at the Ho Chi Minh trail 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Vietnam II GB”