Monogram Duece & Half ton truck 1/35 **Complete sort of**

Covering the Vietnam War from March 65 until March 73, any kit, any scale, any subject, any country.
Runs 1-31 October.
Your host & GBL is ShaunW.
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Welcome to the Nam...Monogram Duece & Half ton truck 1/3

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice looking truck.
Nigel
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Having owned a 1/1 scale version of the CCKW this model brings back fond memories of the Jimmy. Nice build so far
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This looks great Chris and the look of the model belies its age, with some nice looking detail. The folds on the tarp for instance look a sight better than those on the tarp in the Revell Mercedes that I built recently and that kit dates from 2008!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chris

Post by Chris »

jRatz wrote:Good work.

I didn't really pay attention to this until I noticed the wheels and realized it was an M-34, not an M-35 - interesting. I was able to barely read the instruction page you provided to confirm it. Does your kit have a copyright or manufacturing date on it ? The hey-day of this model was really the 50s. Ought to dig up some RVN decals and figures, that would really be unique.
This is a repop John, Monogram just brought this back after years out of productiuon. The original Monogram mould dates back to 1957!

For those who don't know, in US service this truck has 10, not 6 wheels as in the Monogram kit, the 6 wheel version is the common license built version made in canada. The extra wheels are on the rear, each is doubled. The USA also had some of as the first few years of production also used the 6 wheel kind, and these could often be found in national guard units. Some of the 6 wheelers also made it to Vietnam as the Army will use what it has in hand quite often.
Honcho of ASMMF
Chris

Post by Chris »

ShaunW wrote:This looks great Chris and the look of the model belies its age, with some nice looking detail. The folds on the tarp for instance look a sight better than those on the tarp in the Revell Mercedes that I built recently and that kit dates from 2008!
There is a reason why a lot of us consider Monogram the best model maker from the 50s through the 80s Shaun!

They did show an amazing eye for small details many others don't bother with, which is probaly why thier kits are still made and sold today, while Revell, Airfix, Hasegawa, Tamiya and just about everyone else would not dare to bring back their old mooulds!
Honcho of ASMMF
Chris

Post by Chris »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Nice looking truck.
Nigel
Thanks Nigel, sje does have a cool look doesn't she.
TobyC wrote:Having owned a 1/1 scale version of the CCKW this model brings back fond memories of the Jimmy. Nice build so far
Trucks just do something to guys, don't they!
Honcho of ASMMF
Chris

Post by Chris »

Saxon wrote:Wow, I love the classic box art and the figures. Are you planning on keeping the box?

Can't wait to see this one built up.
I always try to keep the boxes, a weird habit of mine!
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Chris wrote: There is a reason why a lot of us consider Monogram the best model maker from the 50s through the 80s Shaun!

They did show an amazing eye for small details many others don't bother with, which is probaly why thier kits are still made and sold today, while Revell, Airfix, Hasegawa, Tamiya and just about everyone else would not dare to bring back their old mooulds!
Alas, I've never built a Monogram kit in my life. Living here in small town England they were thin on the ground when I was a lad and Airfix and/or Matchbox ruled the local stores. For some reason or another as an adult modeller I've never got around to building one.

IPMS#12300
Chris

Post by Chris »

ShaunW wrote:
Chris wrote: There is a reason why a lot of us consider Monogram the best model maker from the 50s through the 80s Shaun!

Alas, I've never built a Monogram kit in my life. Living here in small town England they were thin on the ground when I was a lad and Airfix and/or Matchbox ruled the local stores. For some reason or another as an adult modeller I've never got around to building one.
You should try one, revell repops them so you should be able to find them now.

Try building the 1/48 Panther, its the perfect example of what Monogram was.
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Chris wrote:
ShaunW wrote:

You should try one, revell repops them so you should be able to find them now.

Try building the 1/48 Panther, its the perfect example of what Monogram was.
Well, I'm hoping to get to SMW at Telford next month and the show is ideal for hunting down classics etc.

IPMS#12300
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

ShaunW wrote:
Not wanting to spend your money for you but I found this interesting kit. Not your normal Mustang :mrgreen:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Monog ... 3f29d0fc84;
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Chris

Post by Chris »

That twin Mustang is not quite so rare, revell repopped it, their kit is that kit!
Honcho of ASMMF
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

TobyC wrote:
ShaunW wrote:
Not wanting to spend your money for you but I found this interesting kit. Not your normal Mustang :mrgreen:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Monog ... 3f29d0fc84;
I built the Monogram version a couple of years ago. Excellent kit. The first one I airbrushed :)

Get the Revell repop!

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Chris

Post by Chris »

The masterbox figures and the groud work material arrived today, so I can move forward.

I had a medical procedure this morning though, so I can't model anything till tomorrow unfortunetly.
Honcho of ASMMF
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The figures look good Chris, nice relaxed looking postures. Hope your medical operation is healing up OK.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Vietnam II GB”