Tornado and Duchess at York July 2012

For the train spotter in all of us ....
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Tornado and Duchess at York July 2012

Post by beany »

While I was at York on a long work weekend (nights, on-call after a software upgrade for the signallers at York Signalling Control Centre) I popped up the station during Saturday afternoon to see firstly the LMS Princess Coronation Class (4-6-2 Pacific) No.6233 Duchess of Sutherland come through on one excursion, followed very shortly by Peppercorn A1 (4-6-2 Pacific) No.60163 Tornado on another. Unfortunately for pathing purposes they weren't there at the same time but only minutes apart.
Although they look quite similar as large locos go, the Duchess was first out-shopped in July 1938, whereas Tornado was only completed in 2008.

Duchess on final approach!

Some of my colleagues who weren't working that weekend were actually on this excursion and I managed to find them and have a quick chat on the platform before the train moved on again.

Shortly afterwards, Tornado arrived at the other platform, usually host to London bound trains going in the other direction, but like many large stations, the signalling is bi-directional.

Sadly, all too soon she was on the move again. I believe the driver made a deliberate show of making as much noise and steam/smoke as possible - much to the delighted of the gathered enthuiasts.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Tornado and Duchess at York July 2012

Post by Chuck E »

Good photos, Al. I live 10 minutes walk from where Tornado was built. 5 minutes from the site of Darlington North Road Works where hundreds of locomotives were built for LNER and BR.

The next Loco will be a Mikado 2-8-2. Only six were built, so this will be the 7th. None of the others were saved from the scrap man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_P2;

Again, Hornby will be building a model one to go with it. Lovely ! Here it is in LNER Apple Green livery.

They were later modified by Thompson to look like a standard A4.
So many models, so little time.
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Spearjig »

A thing of beauty and a joy forever!
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Chuck E wrote: Again, Hornby will be building a model one to go with it. Lovely ! Here it is in LNER Apple Green livery.
I very much look forward to seeing the new Mikado in the fullness of time. The "problem" with model railways these days is threefold for me - 1. I don't have room for a layout currently, 2. I don't have any spare cash to help rectify that situation and 3. Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan et al make such gorgeous machine these days I don't just want one of each loco (steam/diesel/electric/other) but I want one of each different livery they do as well!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

That Mikado is a thing of beauty, for sure ... Wish Rosebud/Kitmaster had done one ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I'll have to make do with photos as the new model locos are so expensive these days. There was never a time when they were pocket money purchases, but they were affordable. Railway modelling on a large scale is too expensive these days, so you see why people join model railway clubs to be a part of it. I still have a lot of the older models, but am also limited for space these days . . . as well as enough money to follow all my interests.
So many models, so little time.
feanor
Active Participant

Post by feanor »

Thanks for the pics Al. Lovely Behemoths.
The best thing, is to keep on building. Clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers…

Return to “The Engine Shed”