Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala 2018

For the train spotter in all of us ....
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala 2018

Post by general rocket »

A small selection of the pictures taken at this years gala.

English Electric type 1, class20, known as "choppers".

Class 88, electro-diesel. A new type having been built 2015-16.

Class 14, a small (650h.p.) diesel hydraulic loco, built 1965, they where all sold off for industrial use. Nicknamed for some reason as "Teddy Bears".

Class 47, known for some reason as "spoons". Built in the mid 60's with a power output of 2500h.p., many are still in service having been uprated and are now known as class 57 "Thunderbirds".

A "Deltic" class 55, with 3300h.p. hooked up to 4 carriages. (I wanted a moped but bought a Goldwing.)

Same engine. I just included this shot because I liked it.

Class 42 known as Warships. Another diesel hydraulic.

Clas 73 electro-diesel. Mainly third rail electric for use on British Rails Southern Region, they where fitted with a small (600h.p.) diesel engine for traversing short distances on none electrified lines. Having been withdrawn by British Rail, a few such as the example above have been bought by privatised companies to fill a need for a small loco.

English Electric type 5, class 50. 2018 marks the half century of the class 50 and many Heritage lines are holding events to mark this anniversary, including the S.V.R. I will of course attend.

Class 33. Another small Southern Region short distance express loco.

Class 56. Built by British Rail in the late 70's and early 80's as a heavy freight engine, they where used extensively on "merry-go-round" coal trains. Many, as this one, are still in revenue earnig service.

Class 66. Another current loco, these where the first American built diesel engines for service on British Railways (simplistic).

Class 45. Known as "peaks" a mixed traffic engine of 2500h.p.

Class 37. Another offering from English Electric. A useful medium freight engine.

Class 52 diesel-hydraulic. All of this class where named, all with the prefix Western, as in this case "Western Champion".

Seen on the miniature railway. A model of a very early London Underground third rail electric loco.

All diesel-hydraulic locomotives where used on the British Rails Western Region.
Simpistic history, Western Region was effectively the old pre-nationalisation Great Western Railway, and while everyone else was being issued with diesel-electric locomotives, Western Region was still trying to assert their former identity by being different and buying diesel-hydraulics. Due to their being none standard, British Rails board had scrapped all diesel-hydraulic engines by the late 1970's.

Deltics where only used on the East Coast mainline (London to Edinburgh) as only 22 where built and where thus none standard and complexity, all where out of service by the early 1980's despite their high power.

Any queries, feel free to ask.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “The Engine Shed”