Stuart's Butchered Beaufighter

Finish off those kits which are stalled on the workbench, languishing on the sidelines, or lurking on The Shelf of Doom.
Runs 1st to 30th November
GB Leaders are Dazzled and AndrewR
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Stuart's Butchered Beaufighter

Post by Zee28 »

Stuart, sorry for the delay in getting a photo of my strictly out-of-the-box Beau' for you, I know I promised, it's just that being the clumsy oaf that I am, during removal from the display cabinet for the photograph I managed to damage it quite extensively :evil: rear canopy came off, rear gunner figure fell off his perch and disappeared into the fuselage, aerial came off and got lost and the fuselage split open along the top seam tearing the lovely invasion stripe decal!

I am staring at it now and trying to decide whether to try to repair it or just bin it and build another one at a later date.

It's a real shame because despite the kit's age and simplicity, it was actually one of my better jobs (certainly not great, but a bit better than the usual mess-ups I do).

Ho-hum....

Zee
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's not just me that drops them eh Zee? Frustrating isn't the word! Usually I manage to do it just after they're finished and I'm putting them into the cabinets :ha: (I can laugh at the moment but I won't be the next time it happens!) The damage sounds bad but not beyond salvation. Walk away from it for a couple of days until the anger subsides and then have a think. Sounds like the invasion stripes would have to be painted though unless you've got some spare decals.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

ShaunW wrote:It's not just me that drops them eh Zee? Frustrating isn't the word! Usually I manage to do it just after they're finished and I'm putting them into the cabinets :ha: (I can laugh at the moment but I won't be the next time it happens!) The damage sounds bad but not beyond salvation. Walk away from it for a couple of days until the anger subsides and then have a think. Sounds like the invasion stripes would have to be painted though unless you've got some spare decals.
I know what you mean Shaun! Grrrrr. I might be able to re-work the top seam (glue, fill, sand) and then touch up with white and black paint to re-blend in the invasion stripes decal. I have rescued my rear gunner chap, he fell out after a damn good shake. The trouble I am having is that I can't remember the exact paint colours I used which I'll need for touch-up around the rear canopy, the grey and green camouflage colours. I seem to remember that I used the Airfix recommended Humbrol colour for the grey (Stuart and/or anyone got the recent instructions to give me a hand on the Humbrol call-out for the grey?) but I didn't use the shade of green that Airfix say because I read somewhere that it was wrong, but for the life of me I cannot remember what Humbrol green I used! Aaargh! I guess it'll be a case of suck it and see, try a few and see what matches.

But I can visualise it looking pretty awful after I've done all these bodged repairs to it! Shame really, because it looked alright before...... :sad:

Zee
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

jssel wrote:With all that effort, Airfix will release a new tool Beau for sure now. :lol:

It's a sure thing. Just like rain as soon as you wash the car ;-) .
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:
jssel wrote:With all that effort, Airfix will release a new tool Beau for sure now. :lol:

It's a sure thing. Just like rain as soon as you wash the car ;-) .
Oh yes. You could put me in the driest desert on the planet, give me the water and let me wash a car there and I guarantee rain within the hour :ha:

IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

@ Mr Zee - sorry mate, I've been in a meeting all day! I'll get you the colours asap! Sorry to hear that though, such a shame!

It always rain when you 've washed the car - well know fact!

Work has stalled a bit I'm afraid, only had about 1/2 an hour modelling time this week and spent it working on the P-51 I'm supposed to be building for my wifes xmas pressie :(

Regards

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It's kind of like that Stuart. Life gets in the way of important modelling tasks ;-)

I think you're pretty lucky though. I wish I could get away with giving Mrs Dazzled a model for Christmas.

I'd fear for my baubles if I tried that :shock:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi guys,

Sorry i've not updated for a while - been busy with real life stuff and well, the beaus back on the shelf as I'm cracking on with some 'Stangs for my wife.

You're all going great guns though - nice stuff!

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

You made some terrific progress with an impressively ambitious upgrade to an uninspiring kit. Just for that alone, Stuart, you deserve applauding.

If you can find the time to finish the Beau' I'd love to see some pictures.

Thanks for your inspiring contribution to the GB. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Oh it'll be finished - I might try and get the engines on this weekend - just not by the 31st! I will certainly post pics in my workbench thread post this GB - I am actually really enjoying it!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

One for mr Zee

is that what you needed?

Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Cheers Stuart! Just what I need for my repair job (it's looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment).

Zee
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Zee28 wrote:Cheers Stuart! Just what I need for my repair job (it's looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment).

Zee
l feel a bit guilty about that - I hope you can repair it!

Regards

Stuart

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

And new engines, got to add the intakes next...

Stuart

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ah, back in action then Stuart and I must say those replacement engines are a huge improvement over what comes in the box!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Getting Things Done GB”